|Periods||Regions||Total surface (km2)||Transport Railroad (km2)||Transport Main road (km2)||Built-up area Residential (km2)||Built-up area Industry, business, public institutions (km2)||Semi built-up area Building site (km2)||Recreation Sport grounds (km2)||Agriculture Other agricultural usage (km2)||Woodland and nature Woodland (km2)||Woodland and nature Natural open area (km2)||Water Inland water total (km2)||Water Tidal water total (km2)|
This table provides information about the land use of the area of the Netherlands and the changes in land use.
Data available from: 1900.
Status of the figures:
The figures in this table are final.
Changes as of 7 September 2018:
Addition of figures of surfaces of 2013, 2014 and 2015, addition of figures of land use of 2015.
When will new figures be published?
The land use 2017 figures will be published December 2021 at the latest.
- Total surface
- Total surface of the Netherlands.
- Area in use for traffic and transport on roads, on railways and in the air.
- Area in use for traffic and transport on railways.
- dead end rails to industrial area;
- shunting area;
- railway yard including station buildings and adjacent parking areas.
- narrow gauge, this is included at the adjacent land use.
- Main road
- Area in use for traffic and transport over the main road network.
- roads with function of transportation artery;
- included green in connections with roads and inside roundabouts;
- parking areas;
- storages for road maintenance.
- included green, larger than 1 ha in use of agriculture or woodland;
- included water larger than 1 ha;
- main road under construction.
- Built-up area
- Area in use for residents, work, shopping, cultural facilities and public amenities.
- Area mainly used for residents, including primary amenities.
- housing areas;
- primary amenities e.g. (local) shops, primary schools;
- local offices of e.g. banks;
- green areas smaller than 1 hectare;
- streets and local parking areas;
- courtyards, gardens;
- playing grounds;
- trailer camp (excluding wreckage areas larger than 0,1 hectare).
If residential areas are inside woodland, the total area is assignated as residential if a street pattern can be recognized.
- Industry, business, public institutions
- Area in use for industry, retail and business services, for concentrated retail trade and catering activities and for general use, like community homes, police offices and utility services.
- Semi built-up area
- Area with a certain amount of paving, not in use as traffic area or built-up area.
- Building site
- Area in use for construction.
- area of construction or with preparing traces;
- fallow land on industrial- and office areas.
- Area in use for recreation.
- Sport grounds
- Area in use for sport activities.
- area for fieldsport, including trotting and racing, golf area;
- swimming pool, ice skating place;
- sports hall and horse riding school;
- permanent motorcross area (including basic ones);
- associated stands;
- woodland if included in the sport area;
- associated parking areas and forest- or shrublines.
Minimum size of 0,5 hectare.
- Area for agriculture.
- Other agricultural usage
- Area for agriculture without glass, like pastures, fields and orchards.
- grassland (hayland and pastures) including the grass growns dikes and river forelands;
- area for cattle breeding;
- orchards, including underplanting, maintenance paths and windbreaks;
- horticulture and arable farming;
- cultivation of small fruits;
- scattered houses with associated yards and gardens, as far as they are in the middle or adjacent to agricultural area;
- natural grassland.
- Woodland and nature
- Area with forest or natural open area.
- Area with trees for wood production and nature conservation.
- area with trees of which the crowns are a closed entity;
- cutting field;
- fire lane;
- forest path;
- nursery of forests;
- storage of wood;
- scattered houses, if placed inside the woodland;
- poplar fields.
- wooded areas of parks;
- forest nurseries that are outside the woodland;
- residential areas (with a pattern of streets) and areas of recreational houses inside the woodland.
- Natural open area
- Open area with a wet or dry surface, mainly nature.
- Inland water total
- Inland water in use as waterway, recreational water, mining area, sewage or sludge farm, water reservoir, including IJsselmeer.
- Tidal water total
- Water outside the average high tide.