Record amount of damages awarded to former suspects

01/07/2008 15:00

Nearly 23 million euro in damages was paid to former suspects in the Netherlands in 2007. This is nearly twice as much as in 2000. Both the number of claims, and the amounts awarded have risen considerably in recent years.

Strong rise in compensation for trial costs

Judges awarded 15.4 million euro to non-convicted suspects as compensation for legal costs. This is more than one and a half times the amount awarded in 2006, and even double the amount awarded in earlier years. The amount of damages awarded for wrongful detention has risen more slowly.

Total amount awarded

Total amount awarded

Steady rise in number of claims awarded

The number of claims for damages awarded has been rising steadily for years. In 2007 judges awarded 6.6 thousand claims, 11 percent more than in 2006 and over 72 percent more than in 2000.

Former suspects submitted 7.3 thousand claims for damages last year. District courts handle about 80 percent of the claims every year. The remaining 20 percent are mostly handled by courts of appeal. 

Claims awarded

Claims awarded

Average amount awarded slightly higher

The average amount of damages awarded to former suspects was 3,500 euro in 2007. This is 21 percent higher than in 2006. The increase is caused entirely by higher amounts awarded for legal costs. The average amount awarded for wrongful detention was lower than in 2006. 

Average amounts awarded in damages

Average amounts awarded in damages

Nynke de Lange