|Energy sources/techniques||Energy application||Periods||Avoided use of fossil energy Avoided energy (TJ)||Avoided use of fossil energy Avoided energy relative (% total energy cons.)||Avoided carbon dioxide emission (CO2) Avoided emission (kton)||Avoided carbon dioxide emission (CO2) Avoided emission relative (% of total CO2 emission)|
|Deep geothermal heat||Heat||2020**||6,228||0.21||351||0.25|
|Shallow geothermal heat, total||Heat||2020**||3,775||0.13||212||0.15|
|Shallow geothermal heat, heat pumps||Heat||2020**||3,590||0.12||201||0.15|
|Shal geothermal heat, without heat pumps||Heat||2020**||185||0.01||10||0.01|
|Aerothermal heat, total||Heat||2020**||3,311||0.11||184||0.13|
|Biomass boilers companies, heat only||Heat||2020**||13,697||0.46||773||0.56|
The use of renewable energy avoids the use of fossil energy and as a consequence avoids emission of CO2. Renewable energy is energy from wind, hydro power, the sun, the earth, heat from outdoor air and biomass. This is energy from natural processes that is replenished constantly.
Figures are presented in an absolute way, as well as related to the total emission of carbon dioxide in the Netherlands.
Avoiding the use of fossil energy and avoiding emission of carbon dioxide are important underlying aims for stimulation of the use of renewable energy.
The figures are broken down into energy source/technique and into application (electricity, heat and transport).
Data available from:
Status of the figures:
- up to and including 2019 definite;
- 2020 revised provisional.
Changes as of December 2021:
Definite figures of 2019 and revised provisional figures of 2020 have been added.
When will new figures be published?
Provisional figures: June of the following year.
Revised provisional figures: December of the following year.
Definite figures: December of the second following year.
- Avoided use of fossil energy
- The avoided use of fossil primary energy is the amount of fossil (and nuclear) energy that would have been used if renewable energy was not used.
The avoided use of fossil primary energy is the sum of:
1. The avoided use of fossil primary energy by the domestic production of electricity, heat and gas from renewable sources.
2. The avoided use of fossil energy by the biofuels for road transport sold on the domestic market.
Imports and exports of green electricity is not included.
- Avoided energy
- In this table, the unit TeraJoule (TJ) is used. This equals 1,000,000,000,000 joules (10 to the power of 12). A joule is a unit of energy equivalent to 0.24 calories. A TJ is equivalent to 31 600 cubic meters of natural gas or 278 000 kilowatt-hours of electricity.
- Avoided energy relative
- Primary energy equivalents as percentage of the total domestic energy consumption. Total domestic energy consumption is defined as the supply of energy (primary production plus imports) minus the flows that leave the country (exports, bunkers for international transport) plus or minus stock changes.
- Avoided carbon dioxide emission (CO2)
- The amount of carbon dioxide that is emitted if no use is made of renewable energy technology. The amount of carbon dioxide is calculated in accordance with the methodology of the Protocol Monitoring Renewable Energy (AgentschapNL, 2010). It covers domestic production of renewable electricity, heat and gas. Imports of green electricity is not included.
This methodology only considers the avoided emission by the use of the renewable energy at the final stage: production of renewable electricity, heat and gas. The earlier stages are not included. For biofuels for road transport greenhouse gas emissions of the earlier stages may be substantial. Therefore, for these biofuels no avoided CO2 emissions are published.
- Avoided emission
- 1 kton = 1,000 ton = 1 million kg.
- Avoided emission relative
- Avoided emission of carbon dioxide as percentage of the total Dutch CO2 emission according to the IPCC guidelines (Kyoto Protocol).
CO2 emission figures are provisional.