|Energy commodities||Periods||Consumption Total consumption (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Total (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Refineries, own use of fuel (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Final consumption other oil industry (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Other consumers (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Petrochemical industry Final energy consumption (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Final consumption transport sector Total transport (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Final consumption transport sector Road transport (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Final consumption transport sector Rail transport (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Final consumption transport sector Domestic navigation (mln kg)||Consumption Final consumption Final consumption transport sector Domestic aviation (mln kg)|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2020 November*||8,848||2,073||164||0||227.85||197||730.06||711.89||1.72||15.91||0.54|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2020 December*||9,295||2,259||169||0||242.74||207||715.40||697.20||1.72||15.95||0.53|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 January*||8,846||2,010||160||0||230.34||209||609.21||589.45||1.72||17.51||0.52|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 February*||9,179||1,849||150||0||225.36||180||620.32||603.60||1.72||14.56||0.44|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 March*||10,037||1,983||145||0||219.18||183||787.56||766.98||1.72||18.08||0.78|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 April*||9,493||1,974||171||0||227.82||185||757.06||736.36||1.72||18.24||0.74|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 May*||9,879||2,048||190||0||258.81||185||738.59||717.56||1.72||18.60||0.69|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 June*||9,557||1,933||163||0||223.22||180||809.38||783.15||1.72||23.81||0.70|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 July*||9,636||1,991||174||0||232.77||172||813.39||793.05||1.72||17.77||0.84|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 August*||9,941||1,946||195||0||226.34||181||701.33||681.54||1.72||17.28||0.79|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 September*||9,265||2,003||192||0||224.24||172||774.53||751.91||1.72||19.99||0.90|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2021 October*||10,509||2,115||194||0||226.24||191||814.45||792.77||1.72||19.08||0.87|
|Total crudes||2020 November*||5,098||176||2.34|
|Total crudes||2020 December*||4,998||176||2.70|
|Total crudes||2021 January*||4,722||67|
|Total crudes||2021 February*||5,044||53|
|Total crudes||2021 March*||5,262||118|
|Total crudes||2021 April*||4,973||116||1.51|
|Total crudes||2021 May*||5,184||162||31.70|
|Total crudes||2021 June*||4,693||17|
|Total crudes||2021 July*||4,752||9||1.66|
|Total crudes||2021 August*||5,150||50||1.71|
|Total crudes||2021 September*||4,685||42||1.71|
|Total crudes||2021 October*||5,395||101|
|Crude oil||2020 November*||4,445|
|Crude oil||2020 December*||4,356|
|Crude oil||2021 January*||4,060|
|Crude oil||2021 February*||4,740|
|Crude oil||2021 March*||4,807|
|Crude oil||2021 April*||4,517|
|Crude oil||2021 May*||4,667|
|Crude oil||2021 June*||4,204|
|Crude oil||2021 July*||4,340|
|Crude oil||2021 August*||4,586|
|Crude oil||2021 September*||4,313|
|Crude oil||2021 October*||4,867|
|Natural gas liquids||2020 November*||444||174|
|Natural gas liquids||2020 December*||495||174|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 January*||561||67|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 February*||195||53|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 March*||330||117|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 April*||320||114|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 May*||345||131|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 June*||341||17|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 July*||255||8|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 August*||418||48|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 September*||216||40|
|Natural gas liquids||2021 October*||332||101|
|Fossil additives||2020 November*||50||2||2.34|
|Fossil additives||2020 December*||46||3||2.70|
|Fossil additives||2021 January*||37|
|Fossil additives||2021 February*||55|
|Fossil additives||2021 March*||52||1|
|Fossil additives||2021 April*||51||2||1.51|
|Fossil additives||2021 May*||90||32||31.70|
|Fossil additives||2021 June*||70||0|
|Fossil additives||2021 July*||77||2||1.66|
|Fossil additives||2021 August*||70||2||1.71|
|Fossil additives||2021 September*||71||2||1.71|
|Fossil additives||2021 October*||92||0|
|Total petroleum products||2020 November*||3,750||1,897||164||0||225.51||197||730.06||711.89||1.72||15.91||0.54|
|Total petroleum products||2020 December*||4,297||2,082||169||0||240.05||207||715.40||697.20||1.72||15.95||0.53|
|Total petroleum products||2021 January*||4,125||1,943||160||0||230.34||209||609.21||589.45||1.72||17.51||0.52|
|Total petroleum products||2021 February*||4,136||1,796||150||0||225.36||180||620.32||603.60||1.72||14.56||0.44|
|Total petroleum products||2021 March*||4,775||1,865||145||0||219.18||183||787.56||766.98||1.72||18.08||0.78|
|Total petroleum products||2021 April*||4,520||1,858||171||0||226.31||185||757.06||736.36||1.72||18.24||0.74|
|Total petroleum products||2021 May*||4,695||1,886||190||0||227.11||185||738.59||717.56||1.72||18.60||0.69|
|Total petroleum products||2021 June*||4,863||1,916||163||0||223.22||180||809.38||783.15||1.72||23.81||0.70|
|Total petroleum products||2021 July*||4,884||1,981||174||0||231.10||172||813.39||793.05||1.72||17.77||0.84|
|Total petroleum products||2021 August*||4,791||1,897||195||0||224.63||181||701.33||681.54||1.72||17.28||0.79|
|Total petroleum products||2021 September*||4,580||1,962||192||0||222.53||172||774.53||751.91||1.72||19.99||0.90|
|Total petroleum products||2021 October*||5,113||2,014||194||0||226.24||191||814.45||792.77||1.72||19.08||0.87|
|Residual gas||2020 November*||388||351||140||14.47||197|
|Residual gas||2020 December*||408||366||145||14.96||207|
|Residual gas||2021 January*||401||359||135||15.12||209|
|Residual gas||2021 February*||358||319||125||13.66||180|
|Residual gas||2021 March*||351||317||119||15.12||183|
|Residual gas||2021 April*||389||346||146||14.63||185|
|Residual gas||2021 May*||402||364||163||15.12||185|
|Residual gas||2021 June*||367||332||138||14.63||180|
|Residual gas||2021 July*||372||336||147||17.23||172|
|Residual gas||2021 August*||404||361||164||15.12||181|
|Residual gas||2021 September*||393||348||162||14.63||172|
|Residual gas||2021 October*||416||369||163||15.12||191|
This table shows the supply and consumption of petroleum products and crudes as a balance sheet.
Petroleum products include the fuels LPG, motor gasoline and diesel oil. The balance includes products used for processing or consumption in the Netherlands as well as those intended for transit.
Crudes are crude oil, natural gas liquids and additives (intermediates for motor gasoline and transport diesel). Separate balance sheet items are available for feedstocks for processing in the Netherlands and for feedstocks for the transit trade. The difference between the two flows is that import tax is paid for products destined for production in the Netherlands, while it is not paid for transit goods.
The following standard densities are used to convert from kg to liters of Gasoline, Diesel and Autogas delivered including excise duty:
Petrol 0.75 kg/l, Diesel 0.836 kg/l and LPG 0.535 kg/l.
This table replaces the next tables:
Crude balance sheet; supply, consumption and stock, 1944 - April 2021
Petroleum products balance; supply, consumption and stock, 1946 - April 2021
Motor fuels; sales in petajoules, weight and volume, 1946 - April 2021
See section 3.
From January 2015
Status of the figures:
All figures from January 2015 to December 2019 are definite.
Figures from January 2020 onwards are provisional.
Changes as of 29 December 2021:
Provisional figures of October 2021 has been added.
Changes as of 16 December 2021
The indigenous production of other petroleum products has been added for all reporting periods. As a result, the total production of other petroleum products has decreased and that total production now corresponds to the production at refineries, the petrochemical industry and other oil companies.
Definite figures of 2019 have been added.
Changes as of September 14, 2021
Data for the topics Transport final energy consumption Total, Road transport, Rail transport, Domestic navigation, Domestic aviation and Other consumers will be published with 2 decimals.
When will new figures be published?
Provisional figures: in the second month after the month under review.
Definite figures: not later than in the second following December.
- The amount of crudes and petroleum products used for transformation into other petroleum products or as final consumption within the national borders of the Netherlands.
- Total consumption
- Final consumption
- Final consumption of energy. No useful energy commodity remains. This can be final energy consumption, like motor gasoline in a car, or non energy use, like naphtha in petrochemical industry.
- Total final consumption as feedstock for chemical products mainly in the petrochemical industry or as fuel for refineries, the petrochemical industry, transport, fishing and other consumers. In this table final consumption includes also own consumption of refineries, while this is 'Own consumption' in the Energy balance sheet.
- Refineries, own use of fuel
- These are all petroleum products consumed in support of the operation of a refinery. Includes input for electricity and heat production to be sold. Mainly consumption of residual products released from refinery, such as refinery gas and fuel oil. In this table final consumption includes also own consumption of refineries, while this is 'Own consumption' in the Energy balance sheet.
- Petrochemical industry
- Companies that transform petroleum products into chemical products. Some other petroleum products become available as a by-products. These come to the market along with petroleum products from refineries. For example the transformation of the chemical product ethylene (a feedstock for plastic) into naphtha and the petroleum product automotive gas delivered to the market for consumption as fuel.
- Final energy consumption
- Consumption used to support business activities of the petrochemical plant, such as heat for steam cracking. Includes input for electricity and heat production to be sold. Mainly consumption of residual products released from the assimilation process, such as chemical waste gas.
- Final consumption other oil industry
- Consumption for heating very heavy oil fractions (bitumen, tar) in order to be able to pump them.
- Final consumption transport sector
- All domestic passenger and freight transport by rail, road, water and air.
Excludes transport on own premises and consumption of mobile equipment.
- Total transport
- Total domestic transport.
- Road transport
- All passenger and freight transport on public roads by car, auto bus, goods vehicle, motorcycle, moped, etc.
Excludes transport on own premises and consumption of mobile equipment, such as tractors and mobile machinery for agriculture/construction (which typically do not operate on public roads).
- Rail transport
- All passenger and freight transport by rail, like train, tram and metro. Excludes transport on own premises.
Trolley buses are included in road transport.
- All domestic passenger and freight water transport, inland waterway, maritime and coastal shipping departing from and arriving in Dutch ports. Includes work on sea, like dredging, construction and maintenance of offshore rigs and off shore wind turbines.
Does not include fishing.
- Domestic aviation
- All domestic passenger and freight air transport departing from and arriving on Dutch airports.
- Other consumers
- The amount of petroleum products delivered to retail and other final consumers. Includes consumption by agriculture, construction, defence, services and other consumers, e.g. bitumen (asphalt) for roof covering, white spirits as a thinner in paint or lubricant oil in equipment and motors.