|Periods||Own consumption for electr. production (mln kWh)||Net production Fuels Natural gas (mln kWh)||Net consumption (calculated) (mln kWh)|
This table shows the supply of electricity. Consumption of electricity is calculated from the supply variables. The supply of electricity primarily includes production plus imports minus exports. The majority of the electricity produced is supplied to the public electricity grid by, for example, power stations and wind turbines. A smaller part is generated by companies themselves for the benefit of their own business processes. For example, many greenhouse companies generate their own electricity for the lighting of their greenhouses.
The net production is determined as gross production minus the own consumption of electricity. Own consumption is the amount of electricity that a producer or installation consumes during electricity production. The net production is broken down in this table into the following energy sources from which the electricity is produced: nuclear energy, coal, oil products, natural gas, biomass, other fuels (non-renewable), hydro power, wind energy, solar photovoltaic and other sources.
Imports and exports are further broken down by country of origin or destination.
The total net consumption of electricity in the Netherlands is calculated as the net production plus imports minus exports and distribution losses.
Full data per month is available from 2015. From 1936 per year and from 1976 per month only the total production, imports and exports are known.
Status of the figures:
All figures up to and including reporting year 2017 are definite. Data of 2018 and 2019 are revised provisional. Figures of 2020 are provisional.
Changes as of 30th of September 2020:
Figures of July 2020 have been added.
When will new figures be published?
Provisional figures: the second month after the end of the reporting period.
Revised provisional figures: not later than December of the year following the reporting year.
Definite figures: not later than December of the second following year.
- Own consumption for electr. production
- The amount of electricity that a producer or installation consumes during electricity production.
- Net production
- The total amount of electricity generated in the Netherlands minus the own consumption of the installations with which the electricity was produced.
- Product of which by means of combustion energy is extracted.
- Natural gas
- Gas of natural origin that mainly consists of methane. It arises from the same process that leads to the formation of petroleum. Natural gas is liquefied for transport over long distances by ship.
- Net consumption (calculated)
- The total net consumption of electricity in the Netherlands is calculated as the net production plus imports minus exports and distribution losses.