Consumption by type of goods and services; National Accounts
Explanation of symbols
Dataset is not available.
This table contains detailed data on final consumption expenditure which are divided into categories of goods and services.
Total final consumption expenditure consist of actual individual final consumption, the final consumption expenditure by households including non-profit institutions, individual and collective final consumption of general government.
Data available from: 1995.
Status of the figures:
Data from 1995 up to and including 2020 are final. Data of 2021 are provisional.
Changes as of June 24th 2022:
Data of 2021 have been added to this table.
When will new figures be published?
Provisional data are published 6 months after the end of the reporting year. Final data are released 18 months after the end of the reporting year.
- Value at current prices
- The values are expressed at prices of the reporting period. Alternatively, values may be expressed at constant prices. In this case, prices of a reference period are used.
- Total final consumption expenditure
- Expenditure on goods or services that are used for the direct satisfaction of individual or collective needs. Expenses may be made at home or abroad, but they are always made by resident institutional units, that are households or institutions residing in the Netherlands. By definition only households, non-profit institutions serving households (NPISHs) and government institutions consume. Enterprises do not: expenses they make on goods and services are thought to serve production and are therefore classified as intermediate consumption of fixed capital formation. The general government is a special case. The government also has intermediate consumption, just like enterprises. But the output delivered by the government which is not directly paid for, non-market output (like safety), is classified as consumption by the general government. It is said that the government 'consumes its own production'. The system of national accounts demands that all that is produced is also consumed (or serves as an investment). By convention, government output is consumed by the government itself. This is not the only consumption by the general government. It also contains social transfers in kind. In the Netherlands this mainly concerns health care bills paid for by the government and an allowance for the rent.
- Total actual individual consumption
- Goods and services for individual consumption ('individual goods and services') are goods and services acquired by a household and used to satisfy the needs and wants of members of that household. Individual goods and services have the following characteristics:
- it is possible to observe and record the acquisition of the goods and services by an individual household or member thereof and also the time at which the acquisition took place;
- the household has agreed to the provision of the goods and services and takes the action necessary to consume the goods and services, for example by attending a school or clinic;
- the goods and services are such that their acquisition by one household or person, or by a group of persons, precludes its acquisition by other households or persons.
- Consumption households and NPISHs
- Consumption expenditure by households and non-profit institutions serving households (NPISHs). Not all expenses made by households are seen as consumptive, households may invest as well. These investments mainly concern the purchase of houses and substantial costs on maintenance. Small costs on maintenance, indoor painting and the purchase of furniture are classified as consumption. This also applies to the purchase of cars and car maintenance.
- Domestic consumption by households
- All consumption which takes place in the Netherlands including consumption of foreign residents in the Netherlands. Consumption by Dutch residents abroad is therefore not included.
- Consumption of goods by households
- Consumption of goods by households and NPI households.
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal care products
- Other goods n.e.c.
- Consumption of services by households
- Consumption of services by households and NPI households.
- Consumption non-residents in Netherlands
- Final consumption by non-residents in the Netherlands
- Consumption by Dutch residents abroad
- Final consumption by Dutch residents in the rest of the world