|Petroleum products||Periods||Consumption of petroleum products Total consumption (million kg)||Consumption of petroleum products Final consumption; other transformations Total final consumption, other transform (million kg)||Consumption of petroleum products Final consumption; other transformations Refineries, fuel (million kg)||Consumption of petroleum products Final consumption; other transformations Petrochemical industry, fuel (million kg)||Consumption of petroleum products Final consumption; other transformations Petrochemical industry, feedstocks (million kg)||Consumption of petroleum products Final consumption; other transformations Fishing (million kg)||Consumption of petroleum products Final consumption; other transformations Transportation and other (million kg)|
|Total petroleum products||2020 May*||3,579||1,871||161||197||589||13||911.24|
|Total petroleum products||2020 June*||4,131||1,833||144||196||545||14||933.55|
|Total petroleum products||2020 July*||4,366||1,941||151||206||580||13||990.08|
|Total petroleum products||2020 August*||4,187||1,880||171||197||607||13||891.40|
|Total petroleum products||2020 September*||3,771||1,948||174||206||552||15||1,000.75|
|Total petroleum products||2020 October*||4,319||2,015||180||208||658||15||953.83|
|Total petroleum products||2020 November*||3,701||1,884||177||208||576||12||910.06|
|Total petroleum products||2020 December*||4,194||2,067||184||165||794||16||909.54|
|Total petroleum products||2021 January*||4,086||1,946||177||221||733||11||803.91|
|Total petroleum products||2021 February*||4,092||1,794||164||193||622||11||805.02|
|Total petroleum products||2021 March*||4,722||1,848||150||202||528||12||956.04|
|Total petroleum products||2021 April*||4,479||1,863||185||203||516||10||948.18|
|Lpg, total||2020 May*||154||110||1||93||17.18|
|Lpg, total||2020 June*||221||157||138||19.38|
|Lpg, total||2020 July*||281||189||169||20.25|
|Lpg, total||2020 August*||258||167||1||149||16.92|
|Lpg, total||2020 September*||293||175||3||151||21.23|
|Lpg, total||2020 October*||265||175||0||152||22.94|
|Lpg, total||2020 November*||179||118||0||95||22.93|
|Lpg, total||2020 December*||206||155||0||127||27.23|
|Lpg, total||2021 January*||180||116||0||91||25.57|
|Lpg, total||2021 February*||189||121||94||26.09|
|Lpg, total||2021 March*||259||168||142||25.42|
|Lpg, total||2021 April*||260||172||0||147||25.32|
|Automotive gas||2020 May*||.||.||.||.||.||8.06|
|Automotive gas||2020 June*||.||.||.||.||.||10.10|
|Automotive gas||2020 July*||.||.||.||.||.||9.62|
|Automotive gas||2020 August*||.||.||.||.||.||8.84|
|Automotive gas||2020 September*||.||.||.||.||.||9.61|
|Automotive gas||2020 October*||.||.||.||.||.||9.54|
|Automotive gas||2020 November*||.||.||.||.||.||10.02|
|Automotive gas||2020 December*||.||.||.||.||.||7.28|
|Automotive gas||2021 January*||.||.||.||.||.||7.59|
|Automotive gas||2021 February*||.||.||.||.||.||6.73|
|Automotive gas||2021 March*||.||.||.||.||.||8.90|
|Automotive gas||2021 April*||.||.||.||.||.||8.77|
|Other blends||2020 May*||.||.||.||.||.||1.22|
|Other blends||2020 June*||.||.||.||.||.||1.68|
|Other blends||2020 July*||.||.||.||.||.||1.76|
|Other blends||2020 August*||.||.||.||.||.||1.34|
|Other blends||2020 September*||.||.||.||.||.||1.85|
|Other blends||2020 October*||.||.||.||.||.||1.64|
|Other blends||2020 November*||.||.||.||.||.||1.47|
|Other blends||2020 December*||.||.||.||.||.||1.33|
|Other blends||2021 January*||.||.||.||.||.||1.69|
|Other blends||2021 February*||.||.||.||.||.||1.77|
|Other blends||2021 March*||.||.||.||.||.||1.74|
|Other blends||2021 April*||.||.||.||.||.||1.73|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 May*||1,332||491||491||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 June*||1,636||405||405||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 July*||1,643||407||407||0.01|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 August*||1,463||457||457||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 September*||1,397||385||385||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 October*||1,807||482||482||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 November*||1,530||469||469||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2020 December*||1,828||657||657||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2021 January*||1,787||617||617||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2021 February*||1,615||509||509||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2021 March*||1,866||368||368||0.00|
|Naphtha, aromatic and other light oil||2021 April*||1,730||342||342||0.00|
This table shows the supply and consumption of petroleum products as a balance sheet. Petroleum products are e.g. fuels such as LPG, motor gasoline and diesel oil. The balance sheet shows all products for processing or consumption in the Netherlands and transit goods.
Supply is calculated as production plus imports minus exports minus bunkers plus net stock changes. This calculation of the supply results in the amount of petroleum products consumed in the Netherlands in the period concerned.
Consumption is broken down by consumption as feedstock for transformation into other petroleum products and final consumption and other transformations (consumption of petroleum products for transformation into other energy commodities, like electricity).
From 1990 onwards, consumption is broken down by consumption as feedstock for transformation into other petroleum products and final consumption (no energy commodities remain). Up to 1990 only figures on consumption as feedstock for transformation are available.
Also published are the opening stock and closing stock of petroleum products.
Status of the figures:
This table contains definite figures until 2018 and provisional from January 2019.
Since this table is discontinued, the figures will not become definite.
Changes as of 30 July 2021
None; this table is discontinued.
When will new figures be published?
No longer applicable.
This table is succeeded by 'Crude and petroleum products balance sheet; supply and consumption'. See section 3.
- Consumption of petroleum products
- The amount of petroleum products used for transformation into other petroleum products or as final consumption within the Netherlands.
- Total consumption
- Total consumption of petroleum products.
- Final consumption; other transformations
- Final consumption is consumption then no other energy commodity remains. This may be final consumption for energy purposes, such as motor gasoline in cars, or final consumption for non-energy purposes, such as naphtha in the petrochemical industry. Consumption for other transformations is input for transformations of petroleum products into other energy commodities, e.g. input of residual gases in a power plant.
- Total final consumption, other transform
- Total consumption as feedstock, mainly in petrochemical industry, as fuel for refineries and petrochemical industry, for transportation and other consumption and as input for transformation in electricity.
- Refineries, fuel
- Consumption used to support business activities. Includes input for electricity and heat production to be sold. Mainly consumption of residual products released from refinery, such as refinery gas and fuel oil.
- Petrochemical industry, fuel
- Consumption used to support business activities, such as heating boilers. Includes input for electricity and heat production to be sold. Mainly consumption of residual products released from the assimilation process, such as chemical waste gas. Petrochemical industry contains companies which transform petroleum products into chemical products.
- Petrochemical industry, feedstocks
- Final consumption for non-energy purposes in the petrochemical industry. This means petroleum is transformed into a chemical product, such as feedstocks for plastics. Petrochemical industry contains companies that transform petroleum products into chemical products.
- Petroleum products, like gas oil and fuel oil, burned for the propulsion of fishing ships. These are gas/diesel oil and fuel oil.
Up to 1995 this sheet item includes consumption of gasoil of sea fishing and piloting.
For the period 1956-1981 the sheet item 'Transportation and other' includes all consumption of gasoil of sea fishing and piloting.
From 1955 to 1994 the sheet item 'Transportation and other' includes all consumption of inland fishing.
For the period 1955-2006 the sheet item 'Transportation and other' includes consumption of fuel oil of sea fishing.
- Transportation and other
- The amount of petroleum products delivered to retail and other final consumers. Excludes deliveries for bunkers (international shipping and aviation). Most petroleum products are consumed as motor fuel for transportation. There also are other products with another destination, e.g. bitumen (asphalt) for roof covering, white spirits as thinner in paint or lubricant oil in equipment and motors.