|Characteristics persons||Margins||Periods||Smoking behaviour, 12 years or older Smoking status Smokers (%)||Smoking behaviour, 12 years or older Smokers Daily smokers in the population (%)||Alcohol consumption, 12 years or older Drink status Drinkers (%)||Alcohol consumption, 12 years or older Drinkers Heavy drinkers in the population (%)||Drugs use, 12 years or older Use of cannabis Last month (%)||Drugs use, 12 years or older Use of cannabis Last year (%)|
|Age: 12 to 15 years||Value||2019||1.7||0.8||20.1||0.9||1.8||2.6|
|Age: 16 to 19 years||Value||2019||15.9||8.2||70.0||11.1||9.0||15.8|
|Age: 20 to 29 years||Value||2019||30.6||17.7||85.7||16.8||12.5||18.8|
This table contains data on life style and on the (preventive) health examination of the Dutch population in private households. These data can be grouped by several personal characteristics.
Data available from: 2014.
Status of the data: final.
Changes by April 23, 2020
Data about physcial activity 2019 are added.
Changes by March 11, 2020
Data on report year 2019 have been added.
Because a change in the questions and answer categories about e-sigarette and passive smoking, some new variables about these subjects are added.
Besides this, the data about nutrition (Min. 2 days/week, of which 1 x oily fish) are adapted. Figures about the population of 2 years or older were presented instead of the population of 4 years or older.
When will new data be published?
Data on report year 2020 will appear in the second quarter of 2021.
- Smoking behaviour, 12 years or older
- Questions on smoking behaviour are asked to persons aged 12 years or older.
- Smoking status
- The percentage of persons in the population aged 12 years or older who answered ‘Yes’ to the question: ‘Do you ever smoke?’
From 2014 to 2017, the introductory text for this question was: ‘Now some questions about smoking.’ From 2018 this text was replaced by: ‘Now some questions about smoking. We mean smoking all kinds of tobacco products here, but not the use of an electronic cigarette.’
- Daily smokers in the population
- The percentage of persons in the population aged 12 years or older who answered Yes’ to the question ‘Do you smoke every day?
- Alcohol consumption, 12 years or older
- The questions on consuming alcohol are asked to all persons aged 12 years or older.
- Drink status
- The percentage of persons in the population aged 12 years or older that answered ‘Yes’ to the question: ‘Did you ever drink an alcoholic beverage during the last 12 months, such as beer, wine, spirits, mixed drinks or cocktails? Beer without alcohol or containing only little alcohol does not count.’
- Heavy drinkers in the population
- The percentage of persons in the population aged 12 years or older who at least once a week drink 6 or more alcoholic beverages in one day (men) or who at least once a week drink 4 or more of alcoholic beverages in one day (women).
- Drugs use, 12 years or older
- The questions on the use of drugs are asked to persons aged twelve years or older. For the following types of drugs, it is asked whether people have ever used it and if so, when for the last time:
Cannabis (hashish, weed, marijuana)
Amphetamine (such as pep and speed)
XTC (ecstasy, MDMA)
Mushrooms (hallucinogenic mushrooms, magic mushrooms)
Cocaine (including crack, basecoke, freebase)
Heroine (horse, smack, or brown)
From 2018: 4-Fluoramphetamine, also known as 4-FA, 4-FMP or Flux
The answer categories for each type of drug are:
Yes, in the last 30 days
Yes, in the last 12 months, but not in the last 30 days
Yes, more than 12 months ago
No, never used
- Use of cannabis
- Based on the question about the use of cannabis (hashish, weed, marijuana)
- Last month
- Last year