Institutional investors; short-term and long-term investments 1950-2016
|Institutional investors||Periods||Total investments (mln euro)||Long-term investments Total long-term investments (mln euro)||Long-term investments Risk-bearing investments Total risk-bearing investments (mln euro)||Long-term investments Risk-bearing investments Equity and shares Listed shares (mln euro)||Long-term investments Risk-bearing investments Equity and shares Investment fund shares or units (mln euro)||Long-term investments Interest-bearing investments Total interest-bearing investments (mln euro)||Long-term investments Interest-bearing investments Long-term securities (mln euro)||Short-term investments Total short-term investments (mln euro)|
|Total institutional investors||1950||3,459||3,159||384||.||.||2,775||1,252||300|
|Total institutional investors||1980 after break||116,683||114,175||24,191||7,560||884||89,984||9,544||2,508|
|Total institutional investors||2000||830,060||796,886||421,145||315,362||28,843||375,741||246,417||33,174|
|Total institutional investors||2010||1,629,792||1,539,780||931,085||286,963||546,385||608,695||497,901||90,012|
|Total institutional investors||2016*||2,619,558||2,520,033||1,548,095||493,386||944,132||971,938||778,583||99,525|
|Pension funds||1980 after break||74,036||72,957||9,523||2,146||456||63,435||5,487||1,078|
|Insurance corporations||1980 after break||35,956||34,957||9,562||1,915||422||25,396||3,000||999|
|Non-MMF investment funds||1950||91||87||86||85||0||1||1||5|
|Non-MMF investment funds||1980 after break||6,691||6,260||5,106||3,498||5||1,154||1,057||431|
|Non-MMF investment funds||2000||102,040||96,952||81,284||50,689||1,846||15,668||10,665||5,088|
|Non-MMF investment funds||2010||487,116||460,209||288,428||184,651||66,314||171,781||155,377||26,907|
|Non-MMF investment funds||2016*||817,116||773,225||491,678||321,329||121,128||281,547||245,124||43,891|
Dataset is not available.
This table covers investments of institutional investors from 1950 onwards. It enables analyzing shifts over time in the investment portfolio of institutional investors. This is possible for the total of institutional investors, and for each of the three groups: pension funds, insurance corporations and investment funds.
Data available yearly figures from 1950 to 2016.
Status of the figures:
Figures up to 2015 are definitive, figures for 2016 are provisional.
Because this table is discontinued, figures will not be updated anymore.
Changes as of 7 September 2018:
None, this table is discontinued.
When will new figures be published?
Not applicable anymore.
The strategic alliance between Statistics Netherlands (CBS) and the Dutch Central Bank (DNB) has led to a reallocation of tasks between the two institutions. Institutional investors is now part of the dominion of DNB. Publication of tables on institutional investors by the CBS is discontinued. DNB provides the OECD with figures for its statistic Institutional investors. See paragraph 3 for links to the websites of DNB and OECD.
- Total investments
- Long-term investments
- Total long-term investments
- Risk-bearing investments
- Total risk-bearing investments
- Equity and shares
- Listed shares are equity securities listed on an exchange. Such an exchange may be a recognised stock exchange or any other form of secondary market. Listed shares are also referred to as quoted shares. The existence of quoted prices of shares listed on an exchange means that current market prices are usually readily available.
- Investment fund shares are shares of an investment fund if the fund has a corporate structure. They are known as units if the fund is a trust. Investment funds are collective investment undertakings through which investors pool funds for investment in financial and/or non-financial assets.
- Interest-bearing investments
- Total interest-bearing investments
- Long-term securities
- Long-term securities include all transferable securities, which generally do not mature within one year. They are usually quoted at the stock exchange. The interest on long-term bonds is made payable through coupons. Mortgage bonds, notes issued by banks and convertible bonds as long as they have not been converted into shares, also belong to this type of assets.
- Short-term investments
- Total short-term investments