Caribbean NL: lifestyle; personal characteristics
|Personal characteristics||Type of figure||Carribean Netherlands||Periods||Smoking Behaviour Smokers (%)||Smoking Behaviour Daily smokers (%)||Alcohol consumption No alcohol (%)||Alcohol consumption Heavy drinker (%)||Alcohol consumption Guideline alcohol use (%)||Use of contraceptive pill, 15-49 years (%)|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2021*||11.6||9.2||62.5||8.6||68.9||30.7|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2021*||13.5||11.5||51.7||13.3||58.9||22.7|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2021*||6.4||4.7||84.1||2.8||88.5||40.3|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||Saba||2021*||17.6||12.1||48.2||5.1||58.8||.|
|Level of education: Low||Reliability margin||Caribbean Netherlands||2021*||2.4||2.2||3.6||2.2||3.5||7.3|
|Level of education: Low||Reliability margin||Bonaire||2021*||3.5||3.3||5.2||3.7||5.2||9.1|
|Level of education: Low||Reliability margin||St. Eustatius||2021*||3.2||2.6||4.4||1.9||4.0||11.8|
|Level of education: Low||Reliability margin||Saba||2021*||8.2||7.0||10.4||5.0||10.5||.|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2021*||12.6||8.3||46.9||9.7||55.5||23.5|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2021*||10.6||8.5||40.6||13.5||50.5||19.3|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2021*||13.0||8.7||70.4||6.4||78.2||.|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||Saba||2021*||16.3||7.7||34.4||4.6||42.4||.|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Reliability margin||Caribbean Netherlands||2021*||3.3||2.8||5.0||3.1||5.0||7.2|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Reliability margin||Bonaire||2021*||4.2||3.8||6.9||5.0||7.0||8.5|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Reliability margin||St. Eustatius||2021*||6.5||5.5||8.6||5.0||8.0||.|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Reliability margin||Saba||2021*||7.9||5.9||10.2||3.7||10.8||.|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2021*||10.2||8.9||37.6||8.0||46.0||35.9|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2021*||14.7||13.6||31.0||8.1||38.1||.|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2021*||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||Saba||2021*||6.2||.||34.7||10.3||44.1||.|
|Level of education: High||Reliability margin||Caribbean Netherlands||2021*||4.1||3.9||6.4||4.0||6.6||10.7|
|Level of education: High||Reliability margin||Bonaire||2021*||6.5||6.3||8.1||5.5||8.4||.|
|Level of education: High||Reliability margin||St. Eustatius||2021*||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Level of education: High||Reliability margin||Saba||2021*||6.0||.||12.9||8.5||13.2||.|
Dataset is not available.
This table provides data on lifestyle of the population of the Caribbean Netherlands aged 15 years and older in private households. It comprises the following aspects of lifestyle:
- Use of alcohol
- Length, weight, people who are underweight and overweight
- Use of contraceptive pill
These aspects are shown for the Caribbean Netherlands, and also for the islands of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba separately. Also breakdowns by sex, age and level of education are presented.
The research is a sample survey. This means that the figures shown are estimates for which reliability margins apply. These margins are also included in the table.
The Omnibus survey was carried out for the first time on Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius in 2013 during the month of June and the first week of July. For the second time the Omnibus survey was carried out on Bonaire during the months of October and November 2017, and on Saba and St. Eustatius in the period January to March 2018. In 2021, the survey was conducted from October to December.
Data available from: 2013
Status of the data:
The figures for the most recent period are provisional.
Changes as of December 15th 2022
The underlying coding of region used in this table has been adjusted. It is now in line with the standard encoding defined by CBS. The structure and data of the table have not been adjusted.
Figures for 2021 have been added, except the figures on height, weight and on underweight and overweight. From 2021 onwards, the table has been expanded with the topic of compliance with the alcohol consumption guideline.
When will new data be published?
The figures on height, weight and on underweight and overweight will be added later.
New data will be published every four years.
- Smoking Behaviour
- Percentage of persons in the population who answered ‘yes’ to the question: 'Do you ever smoke?'
- Daily smokers
- Percentage of persons in the population who answered ‘yes’ to the question: 'Do you smoke every day?'
- Alcohol consumption
- No alcohol
- Percentage of persons in the population who haven’t consumed alcohol in the last 12 months.
- Heavy drinker
- Percentage of persons in the population who are heavy drinkers. For the figures in 2013, people are classified as heavy drinkers if they drink 6 or more glasses of alcohol on one day at least once a week. For men, this standard still applies from 2017 onwards. For women, the standard for heavy drinking has changed since 2017: women are classified as heavy drinkers if they drink 4 or more glasses of alcohol in one day at least once a week. Therefore, the figures between 2013 and 2017 for women are not comparable.
- Guideline alcohol use
- The percentage of persons in the population aged 15 years or older that meet the guideline on alcohol use. Since 2014, the guideline for persons who are younger than 18 years is: do not drink until you are 18 years old. Since 2015, the guideline for adults is: do not drink or at most 1 glass per day. This guideline originates from the Guidelines for Good Nutrition (in Dutch: Richtlijnen Goede Voeding) of the Dutch Health Council.
- Use of contraceptive pill, 15-49 years
- Percentage of women aged 15 to 49 years who use the contraceptive pill.