This table contains information about Dutch residents who died in the given year due to an accident (mainly traffic accidents, accidental falls, drowning or poisoning). The accident may have taken place abroad and/or in the previous year, the date and place of death is the criterion. The data is split by sex and age of the victim. The ICD-10 codes that belong to accidents are V01-W77, W80-X59, Y10-Y19, Y34 and Y85-Y86.
Since 2013 Statistics Netherlands is using IRIS for automatic coding for cause of death. This improved the international comparison of the data. The change in coding did cause a considerable shift in the statistic. Since 2013 the (yearly) ICD-10 updates are applied. For accidents no changes in coding have taken place however.
The persons who died in the MH17 crash in 2014 are not categorized as an accident with an airplane, but as an operation of war (ICD-10 code Y36). These persons are not part of this accidents table.
Data available from 1996 to 2017
Status of the figures:
All figures are final.
Changes as of November 20th 2019:
This table is stopped. All information can be found in the table 'Deaths; cause of death (extensive list), age and sex' and a great part of it in the table 'Deaths; underlying cause of death (shortlist), sex, age'. The fact that on two points the information is shown in a slightly different way has led to confusion and questions throughout the years. This is why the table has been discontinued.
Differences between the discontinued table and the 'short list table' are:
- The short list shows accidental poisoning not including intent unknown;
- The short list shows suffocation including inhalation and ingestion of food causing obstruction to respiratory tract, while this is not shown in the discontinued table.
In paragraph 3 there is a list of links through which substituting information can be found.
When will new figures be published:
Does not apply.
- Fatal accidents (number)
- Every death due to an accident, like a road accident, fall, drowning or poisoning. The accident might have taken place abroad. Euthanasia and violence like murder, manslaughter and suicide are not considered accidents and not counted in this table. Also complications of medical treatments, choking on food and legal intervention are not counted in this table.
ICD10 codes: V01-W77, W80-X59, Y10-Y19, Y34 and Y85-Y86.
- Total fatal accidents
- ICD10 codes: V01-W77, W80-X59, Y10-Y19, Y34 and Y85-Y86.
- Transport accidents
- A transport accident is any accident involving a device designed primarily for, or being used at the time primarily for, conveying persons or goods from one place to another.
ICD10 codes: V01-V99.
- Total transport accidents
- ICD10 codes: V01-V99.
- Victim’s way of participation in traffic
- People who died of an ‘accident not on a public road’ are counted with ‘other and unknown way of participation in traffic'.
- ICD10 codes: V01-V09.
- ICD10 codes: V10-V19. Including electric bicycles
- Mopeds and light mopeds
- ICD10 codes: V20-V29, plus the indication that the device is a moped or a light moped.
- Motorised disabled vehicle
- ICD10 codes: V30-V39, plus the indication that the device is a motorised disabled vehicle, including mobility scooter.
- ICD10 codes: V20-V29, plus the indication that the device is a motorcycle.
- Passenger car
- ICD10 codes: V40-V49.
- Delivery van, lorry
- ICD10 codes: V50-V69.
- For example drivers and passengers of busses, trains, trams, agricultural vehicles, vessels and aircrafts.
People who died of an ‘accident not on a public road’ are counted with ‘other and unknown way of participation of the victim’.
ICD10 codes: V70-V99.
- Accidental fall
- An accidental fall is an accident where the victim unintentionally falls, trips or slips.
ICD-10 codes: W00-W19 and X59.
- Accidental drowning
- An accidental drowning is an accident where a person unintentionally drowns after going or falling into water (including bath).
ICD-10 codes: W65-W74.
- Accidental poisoning inc. intent unknown
- Accidental poisoning is an accident where the person unintentionally takes a deadly dose of a certain substance. Poisoning with unknown intent is counted as accidental poisoning.
ICD-10 codes: X40-X49 and Y10-Y19.
- Total accidental poisoning, inc. intent
- ICD-10 codes: X40-X49 and Y10-Y19.
- Cause of poisoning
- ICD10 codes: X40-X41, X43-X44, Y10-Y11 and Y13-Y14.
- Illegal drugs (narcotics)
- ICD10 codes: X42 and Y12.
- ICD10 codes: X45 and Y15.
- ICD10 codes: X46-X49 and Y16-Y19.
- Other fatal accidents
- These are the accidents not falling within one of the other categories. Accidents with unknown circumstances are included is this category. The largest group are the sequelae of an accident.
ICD-10 codes: W20-W64, W75-W77, W80-X39, X50-X58, Y34 and Y85-Y86.
- Total other fatal accidents
- ICD10 codes: W20-W64, W75-W77, W80-X39, X50-X58, Y34 and Y85-Y86.
- Cause other fatal accidents
- Mechanical effect
- Effects of mechanical impact, not caused by living creatures. This includes for example being trapped between or hit by objects.
ICD-10 codes: W20-W49.
- Smoke, fire and flames
- Death by accident after exposure to smoke, fire or flames.
ICD-10 codes: X00-X09.
- ICD10 codes: W75-W77 and W80-W84.
- Other, including sequelae
- Accidents with unknown circumstances are included in this category.
The largest group is formed by the sequelae of an accident. Sequelae is when a person dies 30 or more days after the accident.
ICD10 codes: W50-W64, W85-W99, X10-X39, X50-X58, Y34 and Y85-Y86.