|Type of delivery||Periods||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Total transport (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Total road transport (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Automotive LPG (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Natural gas (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Electricity (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Transport diesel Total transport diesel (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Transport diesel Low-sulphur diesel (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Road transport Transport diesel High-sulphur diesel (PJ)||Motor fuels for transport petajoule Water transport Total water transport (PJ)|
|Total deliveries||2015 September*||91.8||34.8||0.7||.||.||19.4||19.4||41.8|
|Total deliveries||2015 October*||92.5||37.5||0.7||.||.||21.5||21.5||40.0|
|Total deliveries||2015 November*||89.8||35.9||0.7||.||.||20.9||20.9||41.1|
|Total deliveries||2015 December*||105.6||35.9||0.6||.||.||20.1||20.1||56.6|
|Total deliveries||2016 January*||87.6||33.8||0.6||.||.||19.3||19.3||41.0|
|Total deliveries||2016 February*||86.7||33.9||0.6||.||.||19.5||19.5||40.7|
|Total deliveries||2016 March*||97.9||37.1||0.7||.||.||21.4||21.4||47.5|
|Total deliveries||2016 April*||93.4||35.5||0.7||.||.||19.8||19.8||43.7|
|Total deliveries||2016 May*||96.0||35.5||0.7||.||.||20.1||20.1||45.7|
|Total deliveries||2016 June*||100.9||35.3||0.6||.||.||19.4||19.4||51.0|
|Total deliveries||2016 July*||98.6||33.9||0.6||.||.||18.9||18.9||48.1|
|Total deliveries||2016 August*||102.4||34.9||0.8||.||.||18.9||18.9||51.0|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2015 September*||36.8||34.8||0.7||.||.||19.4||19.4||1.2|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2015 October*||39.3||37.5||0.7||.||.||21.5||21.5||1.1|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2015 November*||37.8||35.9||0.7||.||.||20.9||20.9||1.2|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2015 December*||38.6||35.9||0.6||.||.||20.1||20.1||2.0|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 January*||35.6||33.8||0.6||.||.||19.3||19.3||1.0|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 February*||35.8||33.9||0.6||.||.||19.5||19.5||1.2|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 March*||39.5||37.1||0.7||.||.||21.4||21.4||1.7|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 April*||37.3||35.5||0.7||.||.||19.8||19.8||1.1|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 May*||37.3||35.5||0.7||.||.||20.1||20.1||1.2|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 June*||37.5||35.3||0.6||.||.||19.4||19.4||1.6|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 July*||35.7||33.9||0.6||.||.||18.9||18.9||1.0|
|Deliveries for final consumption||2016 August*||36.6||34.9||0.8||.||.||18.9||18.9||1.0|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2015 September*||54.9||40.6|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2015 October*||53.2||38.9|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2015 November*||52.0||39.9|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2015 December*||67.0||54.6|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 January*||52.1||40.0|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 February*||50.8||39.5|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 March*||58.4||45.9|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 April*||56.1||42.6|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 May*||58.7||44.5|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 June*||63.4||49.4|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 July*||63.0||47.2|
|Deliveries for bunkers||2016 August*||65.8||50.1|
Dataset is not available.
This table provides information on deliveries of motor fuels for transport in the Netherlands. Deliveries are either for consumption in the Netherlands and international road transport, which is called final consumption, or for international sea and air transport, which is traditionally called bunkering.
The table gives figure for all modes of transport. Agricultural and mobile equipment is excluded. Figures for relevant motor fuels are given by transport category. Pure biofuels for road transport are not included in this table. Blended biofuels are included in the deliveries of motor gasoline and transport diesel. Biofuels are products produced from agricultural crops.
Deliveries of motor fuels are expressed by energy (petajoules) and physical units (million kg or million kWh). Deliveries for road transport are also published in volume (million litres). This table includes figures (in petajoules) on total transport, total road transport, total water transport, total air transport and total rail transport. This is not possible for physical units, due to different units (e.g. kg and kWh) are not countable.
Data available from:
From 1946 up to and including August 2016
Status of the figures:
All figures from 1946 to December 2013 are definite.
Figures from January 2014 onwards are provisional.
Changes as of 2 December 2016
None, this table has been stopped. For more information see section 3.
When will new figures be published?
- Motor fuels for transport petajoule
- Amounts of substances, expressed in petajoules, combusted for the propulsion of vehicles transporting persons or goods, including motor gasoline, transport diesel, kerosene, natural gas, electricity and fuel oil. Pure biofuels for road transport are not included in this table. Blended biofuels are included in the deliveries of motor gasoline and transport diesel.
A joule is a unit of energy equivalent to 0.24 calories. A Petajoule (PJ) equals 1,000,000,000,000,000 joules (10 to the power of 15) and is equivalent to 31.6 million cubic metres of natural gas or 278 million kilowatt-hours of electricity.
- Total transport
- All passenger and freight transport by rail, road, water and air.
Excludes transport on own premises, fishing, agriculture and mobile equipment.
- Road transport
- All passenger and freight transport on public road by car, auto bus, goods vehicle, motorcycle, moped, etc.
Excludes transport on own premises and consumption of mobile equipment, such as tractors and mobile machinery for construction (which typically do not operate on public roads).
- Total road transport
- Total deliveries of motor fuels for road transport, namely automotive LPG, motor gasoline, transport diesel, natural gas and electricity.
- Automotive LPG
- Motor fuel consisting of propane and butane. Often called LPG (liquefied petroleum gas). In summer, the proportion propane/butane is about 60:40, in winter 70:30.
- Transport diesel
- Fuel for diesel engines for road transport (cars and goods vehicles). Called diesel at the petrol station.
- Total transport diesel
- Total of low-sulphur and high-sulphur transport diesel.
- Low-sulphur diesel
- Fuel for diesel engines used for road transport (cars and goods vehicles) with less than 0.005 percent sulphur. As of July 2006 the sulphur content is less than 0.001 percent.
- High-sulphur diesel
- Fuel for diesel engines used for road transport (cars and goods vehicles) containing more than 0.005 percent sulphur.
From 1 January 2005 the sulphur content must be 0.005 percent or less. Therefore this product is not used as fuel in the Netherlands.
- Natural gas
- Fuel for vehicles produced from natural gas or biogas or upgraded to natural gas quality. The natural gas is compressed (CNG) or liquefied (LNG) for use in vehicles.
The volumes published here are estimates based on the number of vehicles running on natural gas and the average energy consumption per type of vehicle (mainly cars, vans, HGVs and buses).
- Electricity from an external source used to power an electric motor. The motor's battery can be charged at special charging points or through a normal socket. Electricity sourced from the internal battery, e.g. in hybrid cars, or through braking energy recovery, is not included here.
The volumes published here are estimates based on the number of vehicles running solely on electricity and the average energy consumption per type of vehicle (mainly cars, vans, HGVs, buses (including trolley buses), mopeds and electric bikes).
- Water transport
- All passenger and freight water transport, like inland water and sea water transport. Excludes fishing.
For the period 1955-1960 fishing is included in the deliveries of gasoil to water transport.
- Total water transport
- Total deliveries of motor fuels for water transport, namely gasoil and fuel oil.