|Regions||Periods||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Ashes (1 000 kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Nitrogen compounds as N (1 000 kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Phosphorus compounds as P (1 000 kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Copper (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Chromium (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Zinc (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Lead (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Cadmium (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Nickel (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Mercury (kg)||Sewage sludge Nutrients and heavy metals Arsenic (kg)|
|The river Eems||2020||4,583||927||416||5,347||405||12,500||1,030||9||338||5||208|
|The river Rijn (North Rijn)||2020||4,404||1,045||577||4,308||577||11,718||1,117||10||347||5||99|
|The river Rijn (East Rijn)||2020||19,007||3,867||2,211||23,488||2,468||73,538||4,661||62||1,704||30||563|
|The river Rijn (Central Rijn)||2020|
|The river Rijn (West Rijn)||2020||37,845||8,770||4,977||54,156||4,670||139,057||12,467||119||3,008||67||1,720|
|The river Maas||2020||21,230||3,862||2,550||27,499||3,132||75,411||5,324||94||2,211||29||423|
|The river Schelde||2020||4,720||640||439||5,918||750||13,621||1,156||16||332||6||234|
This table presents the most significant results of the annual survey Public treatment of urban waste water. The results are presented per province and river basin district (Rijn, Maas, Eems and Schelde) and include:
- number and capacity of the urban waste water treatment plants by type of treatment;
- the volume and concentration of organic matter, nutrients and heavy metals in the waste water running into waste water treatment plants (influent) and the volume of treated waste water (effluent). As of 2017, data on heavy metals are only inventoried for even years.
- the volume and destination of the sludge released, with nutrients and heavy metals. As of 2017, sludge data are only inventoried for even years.
Additional data on urban waste water treatment plants, process technology, energy consumption, generation of energy and sludge dewatering can be accessed on the Dutch version of StatLine.
Data available from: 1981
Status of the figures:
The figures in this table are definitive.
Changes as of 12 May 2022:
The figures of 2020 has been added.
Due to new information on 2019, total influent load of CZV and total Pollution Equivalents of the influent has increased with 4 percent in 2019 compared to the previous version. This results for the two parameters also in small changes in underlying classifications.
When will new figures be published?
New figures on 2021 will be published by March 2023.
- Sewage sludge
- Residue of treated waste water consisting of suspended solids and excess active sludge (biomass). Sewage sludge is measured including water (see Total wet sludge) or as dry solids.
- Nutrients and heavy metals
- The total weight of nutrients and heavy metals removed with the sludge. Most heavy metals adsorb strongly to the sludge particles.
- The residue of non-inflammable, inorganic matter after incineration.
- Nitrogen compounds as N
- The total amount of nitrogen in organic compounds (e.g. proteins) and inorganic compounds (e.g. nitrate and ammonium).
- Phosphorus compounds as P
- The total amount of phosphorus in sewage sludge is analysed as P205 (diphosphorus pentoxide) converted to P total.