The following eight activities comprise internet skills:
- using a search engine to find information;
- sending an email with documents included;
- Leaving messages in chat rooms, news groups or discussion forums;
- using the internet to make phone calls, for instance through Skype;
- designing a web page;
- sharing files to exchange music or films;
- placing texts, games, images, films or music on web sites, for instance on social network pages such as Facebook or Twitter;
- changing security settings of internet browsers.
The following four categories were used to classify the interviewees:
- no skills: carried out none of these activities;
- few skills: carried out one, two or three activities;
- average skill level: carried out four or five activities;
- high skill level: carried out six, seven or eight activities.