In the 2012 ICT survey people aged 12 years and older who had been active on the internet in the three months prior to the survey were asked whether they had used the internet for private purposes in that period:
- to post messages on a chat site, newsgroup or online discussion forum;
- for instant messaging, i.e. the exchange of direct text messages, e.g. MSN;
- to visit social networks, like Hyves, Facebook or Twitter;
- to participate in professional networks, like LinkedIn;
- to read or maintain weblogs.
Persons, who were engaged in one of the above internet activities, are defined as social media users.