Victims of murder and manslaughter

This article does not distinguish between murder and manslaughter. In the case of manslaughter the victim is killed deliberately, whereas in the case of murder the victim is killed deliberately and with malice aforethought.
This article refers to all persons who have died as a result of murder or manslaughter. Not all victims are official Dutch residents. Approximately 85 percent were officially entered in the municipal population registers; the remaining 15 percent had entered the Netherlands illegally or were residents of foreign countries.

Data from two sources have been combined to evaluate the number of victims of murder and manslaughter:
• data taken from the form stating the victim’s cause of death, filled in by the doctor on duty or the coroner;
• the records kept by the district courts in the case of non-natural death.