Crude and petroleum products balance sheet; supply and consumption
|Energy commodities||Periods||Supply Total supply (mln kg)||Supply Indigenous production (mln kg)||Supply Other sources (mln kg)||Supply Production Total production (mln kg)||Supply Production Refineries (mln kg)||Supply Production Petrochemical industry (mln kg)||Supply Production Other oil companies (mln kg)||Supply Imports Total imports (mln kg)||Supply Imports Inland (mln kg)||Supply Imports Bonded area (mln kg)|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 February*||8,507||79||151||6,509||4,226||317||1,966||14,232||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 March*||8,869||81||231||6,791||4,276||312||2,203||15,578||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 April*||9,825||95||50||7,774||4,848||331||2,595||17,193||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 May*||10,717||101||166||8,605||5,176||349||3,080||15,986||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 June*||9,984||97||56||7,764||5,034||308||2,423||15,968||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 July*||10,284||95||98||8,313||5,149||291||2,873||15,131||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 August*||9,687||100||78||7,833||5,113||332||2,388||14,708||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 September*||9,757||82||136||7,686||4,705||328||2,654||16,348||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 October*||10,278||71||194||8,182||5,330||296||2,556||16,689||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 November*||9,364||82||140||7,308||4,461||282||2,565||15,918||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2022 December*||10,148||72||192||8,120||5,218||301||2,601||16,712||.||.|
|Total crudes and petroleum products||2023 January*||10,306||74||147||8,230||5,190||316||2,724||15,964||.||.|
|Total crudes||2022 February*||4,194||44||151||7,730||4,906||2,825|
|Total crudes||2022 March*||4,418||59||231||8,691||3,896||4,796|
|Total crudes||2022 April*||5,162||63||50||8,909||4,742||4,167|
|Total crudes||2022 May*||5,252||75||166||8,642||4,420||4,222|
|Total crudes||2022 June*||5,441||72||56||9,119||5,448||3,672|
|Total crudes||2022 July*||5,242||58||98||7,718||4,408||3,310|
|Total crudes||2022 August*||5,248||65||78||8,242||4,207||4,035|
|Total crudes||2022 September*||5,028||58||136||9,457||5,312||4,144|
|Total crudes||2022 October*||5,476||47||194||9,419||4,845||4,574|
|Total crudes||2022 November*||4,794||59||140||8,674||4,866||3,808|
|Total crudes||2022 December*||5,594||42||192||9,396||5,053||4,343|
|Total crudes||2023 January*||5,709||52||147||9,245||4,505||4,739|
|Crude oil||2022 February*||3,542||19||7,024||4,406||2,618|
|Crude oil||2022 March*||3,771||34||8,086||3,410||4,676|
|Crude oil||2022 April*||4,335||35||8,225||4,376||3,849|
|Crude oil||2022 May*||4,550||33||7,973||3,950||4,023|
|Crude oil||2022 June*||4,671||45||8,363||4,934||3,429|
|Crude oil||2022 July*||4,455||30||6,945||3,943||3,002|
|Crude oil||2022 August*||4,380||38||7,409||3,587||3,822|
|Crude oil||2022 September*||4,322||37||8,446||4,507||3,939|
|Crude oil||2022 October*||4,416||23||8,430||3,926||4,504|
|Crude oil||2022 November*||3,879||35||7,817||4,327||3,490|
|Crude oil||2022 December*||4,616||24||8,661||4,461||4,200|
|Crude oil||2023 January*||4,853||30||8,339||3,781||4,557|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 February*||505||7||533||327||206|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 March*||426||9||429||310||119|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 April*||605||8||621||303||318|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 May*||491||7||552||353||199|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 June*||583||9||607||364||243|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 July*||547||6||584||275||309|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 August*||686||5||643||430||214|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 September*||474||6||750||544||205|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 October*||788||10||845||774||71|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 November*||707||9||745||427||318|
|Natural gas liquids||2022 December*||809||7||653||510||142|
|Natural gas liquids||2023 January*||733||8||829||647||182|
|Fossil additives||2022 February*||48||18||173||173||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 March*||62||16||176||176||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 April*||126||20||63||63||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 May*||90||36||117||117||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 June*||92||19||149||149||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 July*||133||22||189||189||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 August*||80||21||190||190||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 September*||116||16||261||261||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 October*||153||14||145||145||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 November*||103||15||112||112||.|
|Fossil additives||2022 December*||64||11||82||82||.|
|Fossil additives||2023 January*||41||15||77||77||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 February*||4,314||35||6,509||4,226||317||1,966||6,502||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 March*||4,451||22||6,791||4,276||312||2,202||6,887||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 April*||4,663||32||7,772||4,848||331||2,593||8,285||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 May*||5,466||26||8,605||5,176||349||3,080||7,344||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 June*||4,544||25||7,764||5,034||308||2,423||6,849||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 July*||5,043||37||8,309||5,149||291||2,869||7,413||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 August*||4,439||35||7,833||5,113||332||2,388||6,466||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 September*||4,729||24||7,685||4,705||328||2,653||6,892||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 October*||4,801||24||8,182||5,330||296||2,556||7,270||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 November*||4,571||23||7,305||4,461||282||2,561||7,244||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2022 December*||4,555||30||8,116||5,218||301||2,597||7,316||.||.|
|Total petroleum products||2023 January*||4,597||21||8,230||5,190||316||2,724||6,720||.||.|
|Residual gas||2022 February*||379||22||357||176||180|
|Residual gas||2022 March*||396||8||388||203||185|
|Residual gas||2022 April*||366||19||348||182||166|
|Residual gas||2022 May*||388||12||376||191||185|
|Residual gas||2022 June*||388||13||375||179||196|
|Residual gas||2022 July*||413||27||386||200||186|
|Residual gas||2022 August*||431||26||405||211||194|
|Residual gas||2022 September*||404||15||389||206||183|
|Residual gas||2022 October*||368||15||353||189||164|
|Residual gas||2022 November*||352||18||334||162||173|
|Residual gas||2022 December*||382||24||358||188||170|
|Residual gas||2023 January*||401||14||387||204||183|
Dataset is not available.
This table shows the supply and consumption of petroleum products and crudes as a balance sheet.
Petroleum products include the fuels LPG, motor gasoline and diesel oil. The balance includes products used for processing or consumption in the Netherlands as well as those intended for transit.
Crudes are crude oil, natural gas liquids and additives (intermediates for motor gasoline and transport diesel). Separate balance sheet items are available for feedstocks for processing in the Netherlands and for feedstocks for the transit trade. The difference between the two flows is that import tax is paid for products destined for production in the Netherlands, while it is not paid for transit goods.
The following standard densities are used to convert from kg to liters of Gasoline, Diesel and Autogas delivered including excise duty:
Petrol 0.75 kg/l, Diesel 0.836 kg/l and LPG 0.535 kg/l.
This table replaces the next tables:
Crude balance sheet; supply, consumption and stock, 1944 - April 2021
Petroleum products balance; supply, consumption and stock, 1946 - April 2021
Motor fuels; sales in petajoules, weight and volume, 1946 - April 2021
See section 3.
From January 2015
Status of the figures:
- up to and including 2020 definite.
- 2021 are revised provisional.
- 2022 provisional.
Changes as of March 29th:
Provisional figures for January 2023 have been added.
Changes as of December 15th 2022:
Figures for 2020 are definite.
Figures from 2015 until 2021 have been revised.
The figures for the consumption of Diesel have been revised from 2015 and onwards. The reason for the revision is an improved insight for the consumption in mobile equipment used in construction, agriculture and services. The revision concerns mostly the product diesel and can be noticed through upstream energy commodities higher in the energy product classification. (Total gas and diesel oil, Total petroleum products and Total crudes and petroleum products).
The revision is twofold:
- New data from TNO about the consumption of Diesel in mobile equipment have been incorporated. Therefore the total consumption of energy from other sources is raised with about 10 to 20 percent for each year.
- The method in which statistical differences are handled has been changed. Formerly a statistical difference of -3 percent was assumed on a yearly basis from 2013 onwards, matching old data (until and including 2012) about Diesel for road transportation based on a separate excise rate only used for consumption for road transportation that existed until that time. A negative statistical difference means that measured use in the Netherlands is higher than the inland deliveries. A negative statistical difference solved this inequality by statistically adding an artificial supply. In the new method the statistical difference is eliminated from 2015 onwards and the total energy supply for road transportation is calculated as a remainder: The difference of total of market supplies and supply to other buyers.
The first and second point both influences the final consumption of diesel for road transport which is lowered with an average of somewhat more than 5 percent.
When will new figures be published?
Provisional figures: in the second month after the month under review.
Definite figures: not later than in the second following December.
- The amount of crudes and petroleum products that has primarily become available for consumption in the Netherlands. Supply is calculated as indigenous production plus other sources plus production plus imports minus exports minus bunkers plus stock changes. This calculation of the supply results in the amount of crudes and petroleum products consumed in the Netherlands in the period concerned.
- Total supply
- Total of the amount of petroleum crudes and petroleum products that have primarily become available for consumption in the Netherlands.
- Indigenous production
- Extraction of energy commodities from nature. Crude oil and natural gas liquids (NGL) are extracted from the bottom on shore or in the Dutch part of the North Sea.
- Other sources
- This item is the calculation of indigenous production plus imports minus exports of bioadditives.
- Production of petroleum products by transforming crude or other petroleum products, e.g. production of motor gasoline by refining crude oil.
- Total production
- Total production of petroleum products at the refineries, the petrochemical industry and other oil companies.
- Companies that transform crude oil and other feedstocks into useful fossil fuels and other petroleum products. Fuels are LPG, motor gasoline, kerosene and gasoil. Other products are e.g. lubricants and asphalt. The most important step in the refinery is distillation. Crude oil is heated and headed through a column. This process yields several petroleum products such as residual gases at the top of the column and heavy products at the bottom.
- Petrochemical industry
- Companies that transform petroleum products into chemical products. Some other petroleum products become available as a by-product. These come to the market along with petroleum products from refineries. For example the transformation of the chemical product ethylene (a feedstock for plastic) into naphtha and the petroleum product automotive gas delivered to the market for consumption as fuel.
- Other oil companies
- Companies storing or trading petroleum products. In common these companies blend petroleum products just before they are delivered to the market. For example addition more or less additives to motor gasoline or transport diesel to meet summer or winter specifications.
- Imports of crudes and petroleum products.
- Total imports
- Receipts of crudes and petroleum products from abroad directly to the inland.
- Bonded area
- Receipts of crudes and petroleum products from abroad to the bonded area. Bonded area is a fiscal place for goods for transit trade.