|Owner or tenant||Household characteristics||Dwelling characteristics||Accuracy||Periods||Housing costs Total housing costs (euro)||Housing costs Net rent or mortgage (euro)||Housing costs Additional housing costs (euro)||Housing cost ratio (%)||Skewed rent Non-skewed rent (%)||Skewed rent Skewed towards cheap rent (%)||Skewed rent Skewed towards expensive rent (%)|
|Total||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2012||863||641||222||34.0||.||.||.|
|Total||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2015||839||627||212||33.0||.||.||.|
|Total||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2018||864||653||211||32.6||.||.||.|
|Owner||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2012||1,047||794||253||32.5||.||.||.|
|Owner||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2015||966||728||238||29.4||.||.||.|
|Owner||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2018||989||753||236||29.0||.||.||.|
|Tenant||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2012||591||416||175||36.2||67.3||24.5||8.3|
|Tenant||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2015||648||476||172||38.5||67.5||18.5||14.0|
|Tenant||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2018||675||502||173||38.1||72.8||15.5||11.7|
|Rents dwelling from private owner||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2012||743||560||183||40.8||62.8||22.8||14.4|
|Rents dwelling from private owner||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2015||812||629||183||42.2||66.8||16.5||16.7|
|Rents dwelling from private owner||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2018||842||661||181||42.6||71.0||13.6||15.4|
|Rents dwelling from housing corporation||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2012||549||376||173||34.9||68.5||24.9||6.6|
|Rents dwelling from housing corporation||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2015||597||429||169||37.3||67.8||19.1||13.2|
|Rents dwelling from housing corporation||Private households||Total dwellings||Value||2018||606||436||170||36.3||73.5||16.3||10.2|
This table contains figures on the housing costs of private households in independent homes. Households living (temporarily) in a house free of charge are not included. The figures are presented for both owners and tenants and can be further divided into various characteristics of the household and the dwelling.
Data available from: 2012
Status of the figures: final
Changes as of 4 April 2019:
When will new figures be published?
Figures over reporting year 2021 will be published in 2022.
- Housing costs
- Total housing costs
- The average total (net) amount spent on housing such as rent or mortgage, including additional housing costs such as property tax, premiums paid for home insurance, sewerage charges, gas, water and electricity and maintenance.
- Net rent or mortgage
- For tenants this is the rent minus the rent subsidy (if applicable). For owners these are the mortgage, but also the property tax, premiums paid for home insurance and maintenance costs.
- Additional housing costs
- Costs that are applicable to every household, tenants as well as owners. These are the taxes paid to the municipalities and public bodies and the costs for gas, water and electricity.
- Housing cost ratio
- The average percentage of disposable household income spent on housing.
- Skewed rent
- Rent disproportionate to the household income.
- Non-skewed rent
- Non-skewed rent: the rent of the home is proportionate to the household income.
- Skewed towards cheap rent
- Households that are eligible for housing benefit and have a before tax rent higher than a specified level. Their level of rent is below that expected for a household with this income.
- Skewed towards expensive rent
- Households with an income above a specified income level and a before tax rent under the liberalisation level. Their level of rent is above that expected for a household with this income.