|Sex of employee||Type of employment contract||Cao-sector||Job characteristics||Periods||Employment Jobs (x 1 000)||Employment Labour volume (x 1 000)||Wage per job Hourly wage (euro)||Wage per job Monthly wages Monthly wage including overtime (euro)||Wage per job Monthly wages Monthly wage excluding overtime (euro)||Wage per job Yearly wage Yearly wage including bonuses (euro)||Wage per job Yearly wage Yearly wage excluding special payments (euro)||Wage per job Yearly wage Bonuses and allowances (euro)||Wage per job Yearly wage Additional tax liability for company car (euro)||Working hours Per job per week including overtime (hour)||Working hours Per job per week excluding overtime (hour)||Working hours Per job per year (hour)||Working hours Per working year (hour)|
|Total||Total||Total||Job type: temporary||2009||392||223||12.28||1,044||1,017||13,800||12,530||1,270||40||22.2||21.7||995||1,746|
|Total||Total||Total||Job type: temporary||2019||572||380||14.23||1,467||1,410||19,430||17,600||1,830||40||26.9||26.0||1,189||1,791|
|Total||Total||Total||Job type: temporary||2020||445||311||14.72||1,599||1,538||21,260||19,190||2,070||50||28.4||27.5||1,254||1,794|
|Total||Total||Total||Job type: temporary||2021||486||345||15.06||1,662||1,595||21,990||19,950||2,040||40||28.7||27.7||1,272||1,793|
|Total||Total||Total||Job type: temporary||2022||499||351||15.65||1,714||1,645||22,800||20,570||2,230||50||28.5||27.5||1,261||1,794|
|Total||Total||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2009||2,193||1,411||14.53||1,383||1,358||18,530||16,590||1,930||160||24.9||24.5||1,121||1,743|
|Total||Total||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2019||3,031||1,950||16.46||1,587||1,559||21,230||19,050||2,180||130||25.3||24.9||1,137||1,767|
|Total||Total||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2020||2,548||1,602||16.45||1,541||1,518||20,560||18,500||2,060||100||24.6||24.3||1,108||1,761|
|Total||Total||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2021||2,700||1,708||16.68||1,579||1,554||21,020||18,940||2,080||90||24.7||24.4||1,118||1,767|
|Total||Total||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2022||2,934||1,843||17.38||1,632||1,609||21,810||19,590||2,230||90||24.5||24.2||1,111||1,769|
|Total||Total||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2009||832||368||15.49||951||939||12,930||11,410||1,520||40||16.2||16.0||728||1,645|
|Total||Total||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2019||767||329||16.41||1,001||993||13,600||12,010||1,590||60||16.1||16.0||726||1,695|
|Total||Total||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2020||740||316||16.97||1,031||1,024||14,090||12,380||1,720||60||16.1||16.0||724||1,698|
|Total||Total||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2021||742||318||17.20||1,051||1,044||14,320||12,610||1,710||60||16.1||16.0||728||1,700|
|Total||Total||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2022||757||323||17.72||1,082||1,074||14,780||12,980||1,800||70||16.0||16.0||727||1,704|
|Total||Total||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2009||718||619||17.00||2,520||2,185||34,020||30,240||3,780||210||37.6||33.6||1,542||1,789|
|Total||Total||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2019||713||643||18.82||2,940||2,559||39,460||35,280||4,180||200||39.8||35.6||1,632||1,810|
|Total||Total||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2020||648||581||19.45||3,001||2,625||40,280||36,020||4,260||200||39.5||35.4||1,619||1,806|
|Total||Total||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2021||663||597||19.63||3,072||2,673||41,600||36,860||4,740||200||39.7||35.5||1,634||1,814|
|Total||Total||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2022||671||603||20.39||3,169||2,770||43,100||38,030||5,070||210||39.5||35.4||1,630||1,813|
|Total||Total||Total||Car of the company: yes||2009||556||538||31.02||4,546||4,520||64,600||54,550||10,050||7,210||38.3||38.1||1,748||1,808|
|Total||Total||Total||Car of the company: yes||2019||596||568||35.62||5,160||5,134||73,450||61,920||11,540||6,340||37.9||37.7||1,730||1,815|
|Total||Total||Total||Car of the company: yes||2020||599||569||36.43||5,249||5,226||74,400||62,990||11,420||6,540||37.9||37.7||1,722||1,811|
|Total||Total||Total||Car of the company: yes||2021||592||563||36.90||5,352||5,328||76,590||64,230||12,360||6,790||37.8||37.6||1,733||1,824|
|Total||Total||Total||Car of the company: yes||2022||615||584||37.83||5,473||5,450||79,190||65,680||13,510||6,960||37.7||37.6||1,729||1,823|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Job type: temporary||2009||295||126||12.12||742||724||10,030||8,900||1,130||10||16.0||15.7||717||1,675|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Job type: temporary||2019||385||193||13.89||1,030||995||13,780||12,360||1,420||20||19.4||18.9||860||1,718|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Job type: temporary||2020||287||153||14.39||1,141||1,103||15,360||13,700||1,660||20||20.8||20.2||919||1,722|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Job type: temporary||2021||308||167||14.86||1,192||1,151||15,950||14,310||1,640||20||21.0||20.4||930||1,716|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Job type: temporary||2022||320||172||15.46||1,231||1,188||16,490||14,780||1,720||20||20.8||20.2||922||1,718|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2009||1,389||606||13.13||825||809||11,020||9,900||1,120||30||16.5||16.2||740||1,694|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2019||2,012||931||14.90||999||986||13,240||11,990||1,250||30||17.6||17.4||794||1,716|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2020||1,763||817||15.08||1,011||1,000||13,440||12,130||1,310||30||17.7||17.5||796||1,717|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2021||1,854||862||15.33||1,032||1,021||13,690||12,390||1,300||20||17.6||17.5||799||1,718|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Type of contract: specified time||2022||2,035||943||16.01||1,076||1,065||14,280||12,920||1,370||30||17.6||17.5||799||1,722|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2009||832||368||15.49||951||939||12,930||11,410||1,520||40||16.2||16.0||728||1,645|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2019||767||329||16.41||1,001||993||13,600||12,010||1,590||60||16.1||16.0||726||1,695|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2020||740||316||16.97||1,031||1,024||14,090||12,380||1,720||60||16.1||16.0||724||1,698|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2021||742||318||17.20||1,051||1,044||14,320||12,610||1,710||60||16.1||16.0||728||1,700|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Working hours: 12 to 19 hours a week||2022||757||323||17.72||1,082||1,074||14,780||12,980||1,800||70||16.0||16.0||727||1,704|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2009||242||143||17.13||1,741||1,456||23,550||20,900||2,650||110||25.9||22.3||1,020||1,728|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2019||201||131||17.76||1,937||1,671||25,960||23,250||2,710||60||28.1||24.8||1,129||1,734|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2020||189||122||18.60||1,996||1,740||26,780||23,950||2,830||70||27.7||24.7||1,123||1,736|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2021||188||122||18.90||2,048||1,777||27,690||24,570||3,120||70||27.7||24.7||1,129||1,738|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Payed overtime: yes||2022||196||128||19.66||2,130||1,859||28,800||25,560||3,240||80||27.8||24.8||1,135||1,736|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Car of the company: yes||2009||65||47||28.95||3,134||3,077||43,930||37,610||6,330||6,010||28.3||27.9||1,276||1,772|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Car of the company: yes||2019||101||72||31.63||3,389||3,372||46,790||40,670||6,120||5,400||28.1||28.0||1,279||1,777|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Car of the company: yes||2020||109||79||32.78||3,552||3,537||48,920||42,630||6,290||5,680||28.6||28.4||1,295||1,779|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Car of the company: yes||2021||108||78||33.01||3,592||3,575||49,590||43,100||6,490||5,860||28.4||28.3||1,300||1,790|
|Total||Part-time||Total||Car of the company: yes||2022||116||84||33.68||3,666||3,650||51,070||43,990||7,080||5,930||28.5||28.4||1,301||1,790|
Dataset is not available.
This table comprises yearly figures on the main aspects of employment, wages and working hours in the Netherlands. The information in this table is classified according to Standard Industrial Classification of all Economic Activities (SIC 2008) and can be broken down into:
- employee characteristics (age and sex)
- job characteristics (type of employment contract, working hours company car: yes or no, and overtime: yes or no)
- company characteristics (size of the firm and collective wage agreements)
Data available from: 2009.
Status of the figures:
Figures for the years 2009 to 2022 are final.
Changes as of 13 October 2023:
The provisional figures for 2022 are replaced by final ones.
When will new figures be published?
The provisional figures for 2023 will be published in April 2024.
- A job is an explicit or implicit employment contract between a person and an economic unit, specifying that labour will be carried out in return for remuneration (financial or otherwise). An employed person may have more than one job at a time. In that case the person has a main job and a secondary job. Each job counts separately. For the calculation of the average number of jobs in a certain period the starting date and end date of a job is taking into account. The weekly working hours are left out of account. Two successive jobs both with a 6-month working period will always count as one job in the average number of jobs, regardless of whether these jobs are full-time or part-time.
- Labour volume
- The volume of labour input in the production process, in terms of hours worked or full-time equivalents. Part-time jobs are counted proportionally (excluding overtime, after deduction of the reduction in working hours).
Calculation of the average labour volume for a certain period is based on the starting date and end date of a job and the weekly working hours. Two successive jobs both with a 6-month working period will count as 1 working year in the yearly average labour volume if both jobs are full-time. If they are part-time jobs they will count for less than a year.
- Wage per job
- Hourly wage
- The hourly wage are calculated by the sum of gross wage of all the jobs of employees of the related population divide by the sum of the corresponding working hours. These wages and hours are summed by subpopulation and period.
The agreed gross wage is excluding bonuses/allowances and overtime pay, but including the value according to tax of non-monetary remuneration liable to tax.
The working hours are the hours paid for a job excluding overtime hours, holiday leave and public holidays. Leave in compensation for shorter working hours (ADV) is not recognized as working hours, so this is not included in the calculation.
Bonuses and allowances are occasional payments that are part of the gross wages such as holiday allowance, profit sharing and performance bonuses.
- Monthly wages
- The monthly wage is the agreed gross salary, excluding bonuses/allowances, but including the value according to tax of non-monetary remuneration liable to tax and paid overtime. The private tax benefits of a company car are not included. There is a difference between monthly wage including paid overtime and excluding paid overtime.
The average monthly wage in a year is determined by dividing the yearly wage sum by 12 times the average number of jobs in that year.
- Monthly wage including overtime
- The monthly wage including paid overtime.
- Monthly wage excluding overtime
- The monthly wage excluding paid overtime.
- Yearly wage
- Agreed gross salary including the value according to tax of non-monetary remuneration liable to tax and paid overtime. The private tax benefits of a company car are not included. The average yearly wage is determined by dividing the yearly wage sum by the average number of jobs in a year.
- Yearly wage including bonuses
- The yearly wage including bonuses and allowances, such as holiday allowance, profit sharing, performance bonuses etc.
- Yearly wage excluding special payments
- The yearly wage excluding bonuses and allowances, such as holiday allowance, profit sharing, performance bonuses etc.
- Bonuses and allowances
- Occasional payments that are part of the gross wages such as holiday allowance, profit sharing, performance bonuses etc.
These do not include contributions to wage savings schemes, compensation for dismissal, compensation for medical expenses and wages paid for overtime.
- Additional tax liability for company car
- Fixed value of private use of a company car minus extra payment by the employee for this use.
- Working hours
- The number of hours someone works in a normal or average working week. There is a distinction between weekly working hours and yearly working hours. Weekly working hours are calculated by the average paid hours for a job, divided by 52. Paid hours include leave, paid overtime and paid sick and study leave, but exclude reduction of working hours. Weekly working hours without overtime is also determined.
The yearly working hours of a job are the average paid hours a year excluding overtime and holiday leave, reduction of working hours and national holidays. For the yearly working hours of a working year this yearly average is determined for a year of employment instead for a job.
- Per job per week including overtime
- Weekly working hours are calculated by the average hours paid for a job per year divided by 52. The hours paid include hours leave, paid overtime, and paid sick and study leave, but exclude reduction of working hours.
- Per job per week excluding overtime
- Weekly working hours are calculated by the average hours paid for a job per year divided by 52. The hours paid include hours leave and paid sick and study leave, but exclude reduction of working hours and paid overtime.
- Per job per year
- The yearly working hours of a job are the average hours paid for a job per year excluding overtime hours and holiday leave, leave as compensation for shorter working hours (ADV) and public holidays. For the yearly working hours in a year of employment this yearly average is calculated for a year of employment instead for a job.
- Per working year
- A working year is a measure for the labour volume calculated by converting all jobs (full-time and part-time) in a year to full-time equivalents (fte) by dividing the agreed working hours by the agreed working hours of a full-time job in a particular industry. The resulting full-time equivalents add up to working years. For example, two jobs of 0.5 fte add up to one working year.