|Periods||Total persons (number)||First generation migration background (number)||Second generation migration background Total second generation (number)||Second generation migration background 2nd generation: one parent born abroad (number)||Second generation migration background 2nd generation: both parents born abroad (number)|
Population in The Netherlands on 1 January by sex, age, marital status, migration background and generation.
Data available from: 1996
Status of the figures:
All figures in the table are final.
Changes per 24 June 2019:
The figures per 1 January 2019 have been added.
When will new figures be published?
In the 2nd quarter of 2020 figures per 1 January 2020 will be added in this publication.
- Total persons
- The number of people residing in The Netherlands.
In the population statistics compiled by Statistics Netherlands the
inhabitants are the people registered in the population register of a
- First generation migration background
- Person with a first generation migration background:
Person born abroad with at least one parent who was born abroad.
- Second generation migration background
- Person with a second-generation migration background:
Person born in the Netherlands who has at least one parent who was born abroad.
- Total second generation
- 2nd generation: one parent born abroad
- Persons born in the Netherlands with one parent born abroad.
- 2nd generation: both parents born abroad
- Persons born in the Netherlands with both parents born abroad.