Population growth in The Netherlands by birth, death and migration by sex and region.
In addition to national data, information is presented by group of provinces, province, COROP region and municipality.
The regional totals shown concern cumulated municipal data. Where changes of municipal boundaries transect regional boundaries, the municipal classifications concerns the most recent situation. The municipality of Vianen, for example, was annexed by the province of Utrecht on 1 January 2002, and is classified under the province of Utrecht in the Table.
Data available from: 1960
Status of the figures:
All data recorded in this publication are final data.
The production method for data on population dynamics has been changed in 2014. As a result data for 2013 may vary between tables. The differences are minimal and only occur in data for 2013.
Changes as of 11 September 2020:
The table has been revised. The following changes have been made:
- The topic 'Population density' has been added. These figures are available from 1995 (not by sex).
- The topics 'Total departures excluding administrative corrections’, ‘Total departures excluding administrative corrections, ratio’, ‘Departures due to emigration excluding administrative corrections’, ‘Net migration excluding administrative corrections’, ‘Total net corrections’ and ‘Net other corrections’ have been removed from the table.
- The subject ‘Net administrative corrections’ has been moved to the folder ‘Departures from municipality’.
- For the periods 1972 to 1976, the figures with regard to immigration and emigration have again been derived from the source files. As a result, the figures deviate slightly from the previous version of the table.
- For the periods until 1977, Statistics Netherlands has no information about administrative corrections available at the municipal level. The figures up to 1977 do not include administrative corrections.
- Figures for administrative corrections have been added to the table for the periods 1977 to 1987. This has consequences for the figures on 'Total departures including net administrative corrections',' Total departures including administrative corrections, ratio', 'Departures due to emigration including administrative corrections', ‘Total net corrections’, ‘Net administrative corrections’ and ‘Net other corrections’.
- Empty fields (logically empty) have been replaced by a dot (not available).
When will new figures be published?
In the 3rd quarter of 2021 figures of 2020 will be added in this table.
|Periods||Population on 1 January (number)||Population density (number)||Live born childrenLive born children (number)||Live born childrenLive born children, ratio (per 1,000)||DeathsDeaths (number)||DeathsDeaths, ratio (per 1,000)||Natural increase (number)||Arrivals in municipalityTotal arrivals (number)||Arrivals in municipalityTotal arrivals, ratio (per 1,000)||Arrivals in municipalityDue to immigration (number)||Arrivals in municipalityDue to intermunicipal moves (number)||Departures from municipalityTotal departures including administra... (number)||Departures from municipalityTotal departures including adm..., ratio (per 1,000)||Departures from municipalityDue to emigration including administr... (number)||Departures from municipalityDue to intermunicipal moves (number)||Net migration including administrative.. (number)||Population growthPopulation growth (number)||Population growthPopulation growth, ratio (per 1,000)||Population on 31 December (number)|