What does the survey comprise?
Publication of national statistics on income statements, balance sheet figures and staff of enterprises and groups of enterprises with main activity hospital care, mental healthcare, care for the disabled, nursing home care , home care, residential care for other persons and youth care.
The target population consists of enterprises and groups of enterprises in the following classes of the Standard Industrial Classification 2008 (SIC 2008):
- 86101 University hospitals;
- 86102 General hospitals;
- 86103 Specialised hospitals (not mental);
- 86104 and 86222 Care for mental health;
- 8720 and 87301 Care for disabled persons;
- 8710, 87302 and 88101 Residential and home care;
- 87902 Residential care for other persons;
- 87901 Residential care for children;
- 88991 Social work for children.
If the enterprises provide other activities – in the field of health care or otherwise - besides the main activity of the SIC class, these secondary activities are also part of the statistical unit. Enterprises in the specified SIC classes not financed through the Health care insurance act and/or the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act are not included in these statistics. For practical reasons, institutions for maternity care are not included.
Institutions financed through the Health care insurance act and/or the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act, with main activity is hospital care, mental health care, care for the disabled, residential care and home care, residential care for other persons, residential care for children or social work for children.
Year survey started
2006 until 2014
Figures for all years are definite.
How is the survey conducted?
Combination of survey and registration data.
The statistics are based on the following sources:
- Databank DigiMV of the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, with digital annual reports of enterprises and groups of enterprises financed or partly financed through the Health care insurance act and/or the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act;
- Digital survey among hospitals by Prismant commissioned by the sector associations NVZ and NFU (only for 2006);
- Surveys by the MOgroep regarding provincially financed residential care and social work for children.
Data are provided by the following organisations; Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, Nza, Central administration Office (CAK) regarding home care, and the MOgroep.
The study is based on a full observation of health care institutions.
Checking and correction methods
Statements are checked in terms of accuracy, consistency and completeness. Missing and incorrect data are estimated on the basis of available annual reports, survey data from earlier periods or survey data from comparable institutions.
The missing data from large institutions are estimated at the level of the individual institution. For small institutions, missing observations are imputed using the sample means of the respective stratum. A stratum is classified using SIC class and number of persons employed.
Quality of the results
Due to non-response, a margin of error should be taken into account. Therefore, the sums of money in the table are rounded to the nearest million euros, and the number of institutions are rounded to the nearest ten.
Annual figures published in this table are comparable.