The legal mother is:
- the woman from whom the child was born. Also when there was an egg donation;
- the woman who adopted the child;
- the duo mother who automatically became a parent or acknowledged the child;
- the duo mother whose parenthood has been established by the court.
The legal father is:
- the husband or registered partner of the mother at the time the child is born;
- the man who acknowledged or adopted the child;
- the man whose paternity has been established by the court.
It happens that one or both of a person’s legal parents are missing from the Personal Records Database (BRP).
This mainly concerns persons whose biological father has not acknowledged the child.
Persons of whom neither legal parent is known were left out of the analyses.