Police investigation more expensive, fewer crimes solved

07/04/2011 15:00

The police spent more than 2.4 billion euro in 2009 on investigation activities, i.e. an increase by 12 percent relative to 2005. The police registered a 7 percent increase in offences from 2005, but the number of crimes solved by the police in 2009 dropped by 5 percent.

Fewer crimes solved

Public spending on investigation activities rose by 12 percent over the period 2005-2009. The crime solution rate declined by 5 percent from 279 thousand in 2005 to 264 thousand in 2009. The number of crimes solved by the police grew marginally in 2006 and 2007, but in 2008 decline set in and the decline continued in 2009. 

Crimes solved by the police

Crimes solved by the police

More fines for criminal offences

Crimes make up approximately 2 percent of criminal offences solved by the police. The other 98 percent are offences. The police registered 12.2 million offences in 2009, an increase by 7 percent from 2005. More than three quarters of offences are speed limit violations; one in ten concern illegal parking or red light jumping. This type of offences is solved at the moment they are registered. The fines are forwarded by the police to the Central Fine Collection Agency (CJIB), accountable for the collection of traffic fines.

Average amount spent per criminal offence solved in 2009 higher

On average, the police spent 195 euro on the solution of crimes and offences in 2009. Adjusted for inflation, the price of solution of criminal offences has risen by an average of 5 percent.

Average amount spent on solved criminal offences

Average amount spent on solved criminal offences

Harry Eggen