Dutch-made yachts sell well

11/12/2008 15:00

Turnover in the yacht building industry has increased considerably in the period 1997-2007. Yacht building focuses on the construction of seaworthy sailing and motor yachts, partly exported to Central and South America.

Substantial turnover increase Dutch yacht building industry

Last year, turnover of pleasure and sports boats reached 826 million euro. Nearly 90 percent of total turnover was generated by the construction of new boats. The remaining 10 percent concerned repairs and maintenance. Over the period 1997-2007, turnover of pleasure and sports boats increased nearly fourfold.

Turnover pleasure and sports boats, 2007

Turnover pleasure and sports boats, 2007

Growing demand for seaworthy yachts

Most Dutch-manufactured boats are fit for travel at sea. In 2007, turnover of luxury seaworthy sailing and motor yachts amounted to nearly 680 million euro.

Turnover of sailing yachts has soared over the past decade. With approximately 220 million euro, turnover had increased nearly eightfold in 2007 relative to a decade ago. Yacht sales mainly account for the increase. Turnover of motor yachts tripled over the same period to 460 million euro. The demand for more luxurious and consequently more expensive yachts has risen in the past ten years.

Turnover seaworthy sailing and motor yachts

Turnover seaworthy sailing and motor yachts

Many boats exported to Central and South America

In the category seaworthy sailing yachts, exports account for 30 percent of last year’s turnover. In the category seaworthy motor yachts, exports accounted for no less than 80 percent of last year’s turnover. Yachts are chiefly exported to countries in Central and South America, like the Bermudas and the Cayman Islands.

Exports turnover seaworthy yachts

Exports turnover seaworthy yachts

The Netherlands holds prominent position in Europe

Turnover of seaworthy yachts in the European Union amounted to nearly 5.3 billion euro last year, the Netherlands accounting for one eighth. In the European Union, the Netherlands occupies a place in the top 5 list, together with Italy, the United Kingdom, France and Germany. With a 2 billion euro turnover, Italy tops the list.

Tessa de Wit