Continued demand for private education

18/11/2002 10:00

In school year 2000/'01, 333 thousand people were participating in private education in the Netherlands. This is slightly more than in the preceding school year and 8 percent more than in the mid nineties.

Half of students on secondary level courses

Nearly half of students in private education were doing a course at secondary education level. Fourteen percent were doing courses at the level of higher education (tertiary level).

Private education by level, 2000/’01

Correspondence courses popular

In 2000/’01, 62 percent of students in private education were doing a correspondence course. The remaining 38 percent had oral or class lessons. Following a strong increase in the period 1995/’96 to 1997/’98, participation in correspondence courses has been hovering around the same level for a number of years now.

Participants in private education by type of course

Economic-administrative courses most popular

Courses in the field of economics, administration and commercial skills are the most popular, accounting for 46 percent of students in private education. The share of this sector has been diminishing in recent years though: in 1995/'96 these disciplines accounted for 55 percent of students. Within the economic-administrative sector, retail trade has become less popular, in favour of computer courses.

Participants in private education by discipline

Officially recognised courses surveyed for the first time

For 2000/’01 Statistics Netherlands was able to distinguish officially recognised courses at senior vocational (secondary) and vocational college (tertiary) levels. These courses have been officially accredited by the Minister of Education. They educate students to the same diploma as state funded courses. At senior vocational level, these recognised courses accounted for 7 percent of students in private education, while at vocational college level, they accounted for 9 percent.

Dick Takkenberg