|Company size||Sector/branches (SIC2008)||Periods||R&D personnel Employed persons (number)||R&D personnel Years of work (number)||Expenditure R&D on in-house activities (mln euro)||Enterprises with in-house R&D activities (number)|
|Total||29 Manufacture of cars and trailers||2019||2,458||2,051||209||110|
|0 to 49 employed persons||29 Manufacture of cars and trailers||2019||.||.||.||65|
|50 to 249 employed persons||29 Manufacture of cars and trailers||2019||322||139||10||35|
|250 and more employed persons||29 Manufacture of cars and trailers||2019||.||.||.||10|
This table contains figures regarding enterprises that conduct in-house Research and Development (R&D) activities with own or external personnel. Additionally figures are available regarding the personnel and the expenditure related to these R&D activities.
The figures are broken down by company size and branch of industry according to the Standard Industrial Classification 2008 (SIC 2008).
The R&D activities are conducted in-house by own or external personnel in the Netherlands. Outsourced R&D is not included in this table. Furthermore, this table only concerns the "businesses" sector. The sectors "institutions" and "higher education" are not included in this table.
Data available from: 2013
Status of the figures:
All figures are definitive.
Changes as of 27 July 2021:
The definitive figures about 2019 have been published.
When will new figures be published?
Mid 2022 definitive figures about 2020 will be published.
- R&D personnel
- The personnel that conducts the in-house R&D activities, expressed in numbers of employed persons and years of work.
- Employed persons
- Someone working for a company located in the Netherlands, or for an institution or private household in the Netherlands.
In order to be included in the R&D personnel an employed person needs to spend at least 0,1 FTE annually on R&D related activities.
Employed persons are all persons having paid jobs, even for only one or some hours a week, and even if they:
- work legally as such, but without registration for income tax and social security (“undeclared work”);
- are temporarily not at work, but have continued receipt of wages or salary (for instance in case of illness or hold-ups due to frost);
- are on a temporary unpaid-leave.
Employed persons can be divided into employees and the self-employed persons. They can live in the Netherlands, but also abroad.
- Years of work
- A measure for the volume of work, calculated by converting all jobs (full-time and part-time) into full-time jobs, also known as full-time equivalents (FTE).
As such, when combined, the volume of work of two half jobs (0.5 FTE each) totals one year of work.
- Expenditure R&D on in-house activities
- Enterprises with in-house R&D activities