|Energy sources and techniques||Energy application||Periods||Final consumption (TJ)||Final consumption relative (% total energy cons.)|
|Wind energy, total||Total energy applications||2020**||50,201||2.54|
|Wind energy, total||Electricity||2020**||50,201||2.54|
|Wind energy, total||Heat||2020**|
|Wind energy, total||Transport||2020**|
|Wind energy on shore||Total energy applications||2020**||32,254||1.63|
|Wind energy on shore||Electricity||2020**||32,254||1.63|
|Wind energy on shore||Heat||2020**|
|Wind energy on shore||Transport||2020**|
|Wind energy off shore||Total energy applications||2020**||17,946||0.91|
|Wind energy off shore||Electricity||2020**||17,946||0.91|
|Wind energy off shore||Heat||2020**|
|Wind energy off shore||Transport||2020**|
This table expresses the use of renewable energy as gross final consumption of energy. Figures are presented in an absolute way, as well as related to the total energy use in the Netherlands.
Renewable energy is energy from wind, hydro power, the sun, the earth, heat from outdoor air and biomass. This is energy from natural processes that is replenished constantly.
The figures are broken down into energy source/technique and into energy application (electricity, heat and transport).
Data available from:
Status of the figures:
This table contains definite figures up to and including 2018 and revised provisional figures for 2019 and 2020.
Changes as of 9th of July 2021:
Revised provisional figures of 2020 have been added.
Changes as of March 2021:
- description “Biomass boilers companies, electricity” has become “Biomass boilers companies, CHP”; the explanation has also been adjusted;
- description “Total deep geothermal” has become “Total shallow geothermal energy”; the explanation has also been adjusted;
- description "Aerothermal heat, total" has become "Aerothermal heat".
When will new figures be published?
Provisional figures on the gross final consumption of renewable energy in broad outlines for the previous year are published each year in May.
Revised provisional figures for the previous year appear each year in June, except for figures on shallow geothermal cold and shallow geothermal heat without heat pumps.
In December all figures on the consumption of renewable energy in the previous year will be published. These figures will be definite in December. However, the figures on the share of total energy consumption in the Netherlands can still be changed by the availability of adjusted figures on total energy consumption.
- Final consumption
- In this table, the unit TeraJoule (TJ) is used. This equals 1,000,000,000,000 joules (10 to the power of 12). A joule is a unit of energy equivalent to 0.24 calories. A TJ is equivalent to 31 600 cubic meters of natural gas or 278 000 kilowatt-hours of electricity.
- Final consumption relative
- Gross final consumption of renewable energy as percentage of total gross final energetic energy consumption, calculated according the definitions from the EU directive on renewable energy from 2009. Total gross final energetic energy consumption is the sum of three parts:
1. Energetic final use of the end use sectors manufacturing industry (excluding refineries), households, services, agriculture, fishing and transport.
2. Distribution losses of electricity and heat
3. Own use of electricity and heat by the producers of electricity and sold heat.