|Sector/branches (SIC 2008)||Periods||Compensation of employees Amount Wages and salaries (million euros)||Compensation of employees Amount Employers' social contributions (million euros)||Compensation of employees Amount Social contributions; seasonal adjusted (million euros)||Compensation of employees Year-on-year change Wages and salaries (%)|
|A Agriculture, forestry and fishing||2022 1st quarter*||736||203||215||5.7|
|J Information and communication||2022 1st quarter*||4,976||1,144||1,123||10.0|
|O-Q Government and care||2022 1st quarter*||21,788||7,881||8,118||5.0|
|O Public administration and services||2022 1st quarter*||6,532||2,610||2,620||6.5|
|Q Health and social work activities||2022 1st quarter*||10,311||3,439||3,574||3.5|
This table provides annual and quarterly data about the compensation of employees, the wage costs and the labour volume of employees. Compensation of employees is classified in wages and salaries and employers' social contributions. The wage costs are the total of wages, social contributions paid by employers and taxes on wage costs minus wage cost subsidies. The labour volume is given in jobs (by sex), full-time equivalent (fte) and hours worked. The seasonal adjusted time series about the compensation of employees and the wages & salaries are also available in this table. The table additionally provides the compensation of employees, wages and salaries and wage costs related to full-time equivalents and hours worked.
Data available from: 1995 first quarter
Status of the figures:
Data from 1995 up to and including 2019 are final. Data of 2020 and further are provisional.
Changes as of June 24th 2022:
Data of 2020 and 2021 have been revised. Data of the second estimate of the first quarter 2022 have been added to the table.
When will new figures be published?
The preliminary estimate (flash estimate) of a quarter is released within 45 days. The second estimate is published after 85 days. At the second estimate of the fourth quarter, data of the previous three quarters will also be revised.
- Compensation of employees
- Compensation of employees is the total remuneration paid by employers to their employees in return for work done. Compensation of employees is classified in wages and salaries and employers' social contributions.
- Wages and salaries
- Wages and salaries include income taxes and employees' social contributions even if they are actually withheld by the employer and paid directly to tax authorities, social security schemes and pension schemes. Besides wages that are periodically and directly paid to employees, wages and salaries also contain wages in kind and holiday allowances. Furthermore, certain refunds for costs made by the employee are included as well.
- Employers' social contributions
- Employers' social contributions consist of payments to insurers made by employers for the benefit of their employees. They can be classified in employers' social security contributions, employers' private social contributions (of which pension schemes) and the imputed social contributions.
- Social contributions; seasonal adjusted
- Employers' social contribution corrected for seasonal effects.
- Year-on-year change
- %-change with respect to the previous year
- Wages and salaries