|Sector/branches (SIC 2008)||Periods||Value added from the output Volume changes on previous year Output basic prices (%)||Value added from the output Volume changes on previous year Intermediate consumption (-) (%)||Value added from the output Volume changes on previous year Gross value added basic prices (%)|
|A-U All economic activities||2020*||-4.4||-4.9||-3.8|
|A Agriculture, forestry and fishing||2020*||0.1||-0.2||0.4|
|02 Forestry and logging||2020*||2.6||3.9||1.2|
|03 Fishing and aquaculture||2020*||-2.0||-2.0||-2.0|
|B-E Industry (no construction), energy||2020*||-4.0||-4.4||-3.0|
|B Mining and quarrying||2020*||-18.8||-12.0||-23.3|
|06 Extraction of crude petroleum and gas||2020*||-25.6||-22.5||-27.1|
|08 Mining and quarrying (no oil and gas)||2020*||-1.7||-1.2||-2.4|
|09 Mining support activities||2020*||-5.8||1.6||-14.7|
|10-12 Manufacture of food and beverages||2020*||-1.0||-1.0||-1.0|
|10 Manufacture of food products||2020*||-0.5||-0.6||-0.4|
|11 Manufacture of beverages||2020*||-8.7||-9.1||-7.7|
|12 Manufacture of tobacco products||2020*||0.4||0.1||0.5|
|13-15 Man. of textile-, leatherproducts||2020*||-10.1||-9.7||-11.0|
|16-18 Man. wood en paperprod., printing||2020*||-3.6||-3.9||-3.1|
|16 Manufacture of wood products||2020*||4.1||4.3||3.9|
|17 Manufacture of paper||2020*||-4.9||-5.8||-2.8|
|18 Printing and reproduction||2020*||-9.6||-9.2||-10.3|
|19 Manufacture of coke and petroleum||2020*||-7.9||-8.0||-6.4|
|20-21 Chemistry and pharmaceuticals||2020*||1.4||1.4||1.4|
|20 Manufacture of chemicals||2020*||0.8||1.0||0.3|
|21 Manufacture of pharmaceuticals||2020*||5.6||5.6||5.7|
|22-23 Man. plastics and constructionprod||2020*||-2.6||-2.6||-2.8|
|22 Manufacture rubber, plastic products||2020*||-4.3||-4.2||-4.7|
|23 Manufacture of building materials||2020*||-0.2||-0.2||-0.2|
|24-25 Man. of basic metals and -products||2020*||-6.2||-6.3||-6.2|
|24 Manufacture of basic metals||2020*||-9.2||-8.6||-11.3|
|25 Manufacture of metal products||2020*||-5.1||-5.2||-4.8|
|26-27 Elektrical and electron. Industry||2020*||-7.4||-9.1||-1.9|
|26 Manufacture of electronic products||2020*||-10.7||-11.6||-6.5|
|27 Manufacture of electric equipment||2020*||2.9||1.8||4.6|
|28 Manufacture of machinery n.e.c.||2020*||1.6||1.0||2.5|
|29-30 Transport equipment||2020*||-16.2||-17.2||-11.8|
|29 Manufacture of cars and trailers||2020*||-21.5||-22.1||-18.3|
|30 Manufacture of other transport||2020*||-6.1||-7.7||1.6|
|31-33 Other manufacturing and repair||2020*||-9.9||-10.7||-8.7|
|31-32 Man. of furniture and other prods.||2020*||-7.9||-8.5||-7.4|
|31 Manufacture of furniture||2020*||-7.3||-7.7||-6.8|
|32 Manufacture of other products||2020*||-8.2||-9.4||-7.6|
|33 Repair and installation of machinery||2020*||-11.6||-12.0||-10.6|
|D Energy supply||2020*||1.8||-0.3||4.0|
|35 Energy supply||2020*||1.8||-0.3||4.0|
|E Water supply and waste management||2020*||-1.1||-0.7||-1.9|
|36 Water collection and distribution||2020*||3.1||2.8||3.2|
|37-39 Sewerage and waste treatment||2020*||-1.8||-1.0||-3.4|
|41 Construction buildings, development||2020*||-2.8||-2.9||-2.8|
|42 Civil engineering||2020*||1.9||1.2||3.8|
|43 Specialised construction activities||2020*||-0.4||-0.2||-0.7|
|G-I Trade, transport, hotels, catering||2020*||-8.3||-9.3||-7.4|
|G Wholesale and retail trade||2020*||-1.4||-3.2||0.0|
|45 Sale and repair of motor vehicles||2020*||-4.0||-2.7||-5.4|
|46 Wholesale trade (no motor vehicles)||2020*||-2.0||-4.0||-0.4|
|47 Retail trade (not in motor vehicles)||2020*||1.4||-1.0||2.8|
|H Transportation and storage||2020*||-13.4||-12.6||-14.6|
|49 Land transport||2020*||-8.7||-6.8||-11.4|
|50 Water transport||2020*||-3.1||-3.4||-2.4|
|51 Air transport||2020*||-58.2||-52.0||-73.5|
|52 Warehousing, services for transport||2020*||-6.9||-5.6||-8.2|
|53 Postal and courier activities||2020*||8.0||6.3||11.7|
|I Accommodation and food serving||2020*||-34.8||-29.2||-40.6|
|56 Food and beverage service activities||2020*||-32.9||-28.8||-37.3|
|J Information and communication||2020*||-4.3||-6.8||-0.8|
|58-60 Publishing, movie, radio and TV||2020*||-18.3||-20.6||-11.5|
|59-60 Movies, TV and radio||2020*||-22.5||-23.6||-16.7|
|59 Film, TV and music production etc||2020*||-25.4||-24.7||-31.3|
|60 Programming and broadcasting||2020*||-4.0||-12.4||5.6|
|62-63 IT- and information services||2020*||0.7||0.1||1.4|
|62 Support activities in the field of IT||2020*||-1.1||-1.4||-0.8|
|63 Information service activities||2020*||10.3||6.8||16.6|
|K Financial institutions||2020*||-2.4||-5.9||0.4|
|64 Financial institutions, no insurance||2020*||-7.9||-16.2||-2.9|
|65 Insurance and pension funding||2020*||0.5||4.4||-6.8|
|66 Other financial services||2020*||18.9||7.1||25.8|
|L Renting, buying, selling real estate||2020*||1.0||-0.3||2.1|
|68 Renting, buying, selling real estate||2020*||1.0||-0.3||2.1|
|M-N Business services||2020*||-6.8||-7.1||-6.6|
|M Other specialised business services||2020*||0.5||0.2||0.9|
|69-71 Management, technical consultancy||2020*||1.6||1.3||1.8|
|69-70 Legal and management consultancy||2020*||2.2||1.9||2.5|
|69 Legal services, administration etc.||2020*||1.5||0.3||2.1|
|70 Holding companies (not financial)||2020*||2.4||2.2||2.6|
|71 Architects, technical services etc.||2020*||-1.2||-1.9||-0.7|
|72 Research and development||2020*||3.2||0.8||6.4|
|73-75 Advertising, design and other||2020*||-6.4||-6.0||-7.0|
|73 Advertising and market research||2020*||-9.8||-8.4||-12.1|
|74-75 Other specialised services||2020*||-1.5||-1.7||-1.3|
|74 Other specialised business services||2020*||-2.9||-2.9||-2.9|
|75 Veterinary activities||2020*||6.9||6.4||7.3|
|N Renting and other business support||2020*||-17.4||-21.4||-14.9|
|77 Renting and leasing of tangible goods||2020*||1.8||2.5||1.1|
|78 Employment activities||2020*||-15.5||-23.0||-13.9|
|79 Travel agencies, tour operators etc||2020*||-63.3||-59.4||-69.3|
|80-82 Security, other business services||2020*||-1.9||-2.9||-1.1|
|80 Security and investigation||2020*||-3.1||-3.8||-2.7|
This table shows how total value added has been generated from production and income. It provides figures on the output and income components of total value added at basic prices by economic activities.
Data available from: 1995.
Status of the figures:
Data from 1995 up to and including 2019 are final. Data of 2020 are provisional.
Changes as of June 24th 2021:
Data of 2020 have been added to this table.
When will new figures be published?
Provisional data are published 6 months after the end of the reporting year. Final data are released 18 months after the end of the reporting year.
- Value added from the output
- The way value added is formed by underlying components in the so-called production approach. In this approach value added equals the sum of value added over all branches (including non-commercial ones). Value added is thereby registered at basic prices.
- Volume changes on previous year
- The weighted average of the changes in the quantity and quality of the components of a certain goods or service transaction or balancing item, annual percentage changes.
- Output basic prices
- The ensemble of goods and services produced. Also called production. Three types of output are distinguished:
- market output: goods and services sold at a market or intended for sale at a market
- the own-account production of all goods that are retained by their producers for their own final consumption or gross fixed capital formation.
- non-market output: goods and services delivered for free or at economically non-significant prices to other units
Output is valued at basic prices. These are the prices experienced by the producers: product-related taxes have been subtracted from the original prices, subsidies haven been added to them. Costs of transportation, when charged separately by the producer, are not included. Changes in the values of financial and non-financial assets during the reference period are not included either.
Included is the output by all kind-of-activity units residing in the Netherlands, including those that are held by foreign owners. The kind-of-activity units include general government units and other non-commercial units.
- Intermediate consumption (-)
- Goods and services used as input in a production process, with the exception of capital goods. Intermediate consumption consists of goods reshaped into other goods or consumed entirely in the course of the production process (by definition, this holds for all hired services). According to international standards an acquired good or hired service is classified as a fixed asset rather than intermediate consumption when it lasts over one year in a production process. Goods and services that are part of intermediate consumption are valued at market prices at the time they were used.
- Gross value added basic prices
- The value of all goods and services produced (production value or output), minus those that have been intermediately used upon production (intermediate consumption). Value added is rated at basic prices: purchaser's prices minus trade and transport margins and taxes on products paid and plus subsidies on products received. Intermediate consumption is rated at purchaser's prices minus deductible VAT.
Included is the output by all kind-of-activity units residing in the Netherlands, also those that are held by foreign owners.
Net value added can be obtained by deducting consumption of fixed capital from gross value added.