|Personal characteristics||Accuracy||Caribbean Netherlands||Periods||Access to the internet at home (%)||When last used the internet < 3 months ago (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Communication To send/receive emails (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Communication Post messages on chat sites (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Communication Phone calls over the internet (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months News Radio, television (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Online banking (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Entertainment Play or download games, films or music (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Entertainment Upload photos, music, text, software (%)||Purpose internet use last 3 months Online purchases (%)|
|Total persons||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||84.8||93.8||72.9||37.4||77.2||69.7||52.7||48.9||48.9||43.6|
|Total persons||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||80.1||87.9||73.9||40.7||65.7||79.1||48.4||46.2||40.4||52.9|
|Sex: male||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||84.0||93.0||71.8||36.5||75.9||70.8||48.4||49.7||48.3||43.9|
|Sex: male||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||78.7||88.1||67.8||34.3||61.2||81.5||47.7||46.3||36.2||51.8|
|Sex: female||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||85.7||94.6||74.1||38.4||78.5||68.6||57.0||48.1||49.6||43.2|
|Sex: female||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||81.6||87.6||80.4||47.6||70.4||76.5||49.3||46.2||44.9||54.0|
|Age: 15 to 44 years||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||92.0||97.7||76.0||41.3||80.6||75.6||53.1||61.4||60.6||48.6|
|Age: 15 to 44 years||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||91.8||99.3||73.9||35.6||87.0||69.3||54.6||59.2||58.3||40.9|
|Age: 15 to 44 years||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||87.8||92.0||70.1||42.6||66.3||84.1||42.7||61.1||52.2||56.6|
|Age: 15 to 44 years||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||97.8||99.3||88.6||57.5||76.2||85.9||59.3||68.3||76.5||63.7|
|Age: 45 years or older||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||77.9||89.3||69.3||32.6||72.9||62.6||52.3||33.5||34.5||37.5|
|Age: 45 years or older||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||79.8||92.8||64.4||29.8||75.6||57.4||50.6||35.4||35.2||30.9|
|Age: 45 years or older||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||73.0||83.4||78.5||38.5||64.9||73.1||55.3||28.3||26.1||48.2|
|Age: 45 years or older||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||78.0||82.0||80.8||37.9||71.3||73.1||56.1||32.3||44.9||56.0|
|Age: 15 to 24 years||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||91.9||98.2||73.3||42.2||78.1||78.7||36.9||75.0||70.4||45.2|
|Age: 15 to 24 years||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||89.5||99.2||74.7||37.1||86.3||73.2||38.0||72.4||64.3||37.3|
|Age: 15 to 24 years||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Age: 15 to 24 years||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Age: 25 to 44 years||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||92.0||97.5||77.1||41.0||81.7||74.3||59.7||55.9||56.7||49.9|
|Age: 25 to 44 years||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||92.7||99.3||73.6||34.9||87.3||67.8||61.1||54.1||55.9||42.3|
|Age: 25 to 44 years||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||87.0||91.7||74.3||47.3||69.0||85.4||50.8||56.1||47.0||61.2|
|Age: 25 to 44 years||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||96.7||99.0||92.5||53.7||77.8||83.2||65.4||61.4||70.4||62.3|
|Age: 45 to 64 years||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||82.6||92.3||67.7||33.3||72.0||63.8||52.2||35.8||36.1||37.9|
|Age: 45 to 64 years||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||85.6||95.2||63.3||30.4||75.6||58.6||51.3||37.3||36.6||32.4|
|Age: 45 to 64 years||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||77.4||85.7||76.7||37.5||62.7||74.7||52.8||28.4||27.8||47.5|
|Age: 45 to 64 years||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||77.4||88.8||78.2||43.5||67.6||74.9||56.9||40.5||49.3||54.7|
|Age: 65 years or older||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||66.3||79.7||74.9||29.9||75.9||58.1||52.4||25.2||28.4||35.7|
|Age: 65 years or older||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||64.6||84.6||68.5||27.5||75.7||52.7||48.2||27.9||30.1||25.1|
|Age: 65 years or older||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||62.5||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Age: 65 years or older||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||79.3||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||77.9||90.7||57.0||31.3||72.7||63.6||33.2||45.1||42.6||28.9|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||78.1||94.3||52.6||24.4||79.8||54.7||31.8||43.8||40.2||21.4|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||77.4||85.1||63.8||41.3||59.3||79.6||36.1||42.5||38.5||45.0|
|Level of education: Low||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||77.9||85.9||66.3||46.3||64.6||76.5||34.1||58.2||65.9||34.0|
|Level of education: Intermediate/High||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||93.8||96.9||88.3||43.6||81.2||75.8||72.3||52.7||55.5||57.9|
|Level of education: Intermediate/High||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||94.6||97.8||85.2||40.7||83.1||72.5||73.1||51.4||54.5||50.3|
|Level of education: Intermediate/High||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||85.8||92.8||89.8||42.0||75.5||77.7||71.5||53.7||44.2||65.9|
|Level of education: Intermediate/High||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||98.1||97.0||96.3||53.6||79.7||84.4||70.6||55.7||66.4||75.0|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||91.3||94.9||82.2||41.4||77.6||73.8||63.9||51.0||53.0||50.7|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||92.7||97.1||78.7||38.0||81.6||69.6||67.2||50.0||52.7||43.3|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||82.4||87.9||87.1||38.5||70.0||77.6||64.1||47.8||40.8||58.9|
|Level of education: Intermediate||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||95.7||92.7||93.1||59.8||66.7||89.0||48.9||59.1||66.3||76.5|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||Caribbean Netherlands||2017/2018||97.3||99.3||95.6||46.3||85.6||78.2||82.5||54.6||58.4||66.5|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||Bonaire||2017/2018||97.6||98.8||94.8||44.6||85.2||76.7||81.8||53.5||57.0||60.6|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||St. Eustatius||2017/2018||91.2||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|Level of education: High||Percentage/average||Saba||2017/2018||100.0||100.0||98.3||49.5||88.1||81.4||84.6||53.5||66.4||74.0|
This table provides data about access and use of the internet by the population of the Caribbean Netherlands aged 15 years and older in private households. The following topics are presented: access to the internet at home, type of internet connections and when persons have last used the internet. For persons who have used the internet in the last three months, the table provides information about the frequency of the use of internet in the last three months, in which location the persons last went online and the kind of internet activities.
In 2017/2018, questions about the use of the internet were only asked to people who have internet access at home, whereas in 2013 these questions were asked to people who have internet access at home and/or elsewhere. The figures on the use of the internet are therefore not comparable between 2013 and 2017/2018.
Breakdowns by sex, age and level of education are presented. These aspects are shown for the Caribbean Netherlands and also for the islands Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba separately.
The research is a sample survey. This means that the figures shown are estimates for which reliability margins apply. These margins are also included in the table.
The Omnibus survey was carried out for the first time on Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius in 2013 during the month of June and the first week of July. For the second time the Omnibus survey was carried out on Bonaire during the months of October and November 2017, and on Saba and St. Eustatius in the period January to March 2018.
Data available from: 2013
Status of the figures:
The figures in this table are final.
Changes as of 4 April 2019
None, this is a new table.
When will new figures be published?
New data will be published every four years.
- Access to the internet at home
- Respondents were asked if someone in the household has internet access at home via any device at all.
- When last used the internet
- Respondents were asked: When did you last go online? Answer possibilities: ‘in the last 3 months’, ‘between 3 months and 1 year ago’, ‘more than 1 year ago’, ‘respondent has never used the internet’.
- < 3 months ago
- Purpose internet use last 3 months
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked for which private activities the internet was used in that period. The following topics were discussed: Communication, News, Online banking, Entertainment, To download software other than for games, and for online purchases.
- To send/receive emails
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you used the internet to send or receive emails for private purposes?
- Post messages on chat sites
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you used the internet to post messages on chat sites, in news groups or in online discussions for private purposes?
- Phone calls over the internet
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you made private phone calls over the internet using a software program like Skype, FaceTime or Messenger?
- Radio, television
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you used the internet to listen to the radio and/or to watch television?
- Online banking
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you used the internet for online banking?
- Play or download games, films or music
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you used the internet to play or download games, images, films or music?
- Upload photos, music, text, software
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: In the last 3 months, have you used the internet to upload your own photos, music, videos, texts or software?
- Online purchases
- Respondents who have used the internet in the last 3 months were asked: When did you last purchase or order online goods or services for private use? Answer possibilities: ‘In the last 3 months’, ‘Between 3 months and 1 year ago’, ‘More than 1 year ago’, ‘Respondent has never purchased or ordered goods online’.