|Sector/branches (SIC 2008)||Periods||Labour volume persons employed Employee (x 1 000)||Labour volume persons employed Employed person (x 1 000)||Operating costs Purchase value of sales Costs of raw and auxiliary materials Total (x mln euro)||Operating costs Purchase value of sales Costs of raw and auxiliary materials Initial stock of raw and auxiliary mater (x mln euro)||Operating costs Purchase value of sales Costs of raw and auxiliary materials Purchased raw and auxiliary materials (x mln euro)||Operating costs Purchase value of sales Costs of raw and auxiliary materials Closing stock raw and auxiliary mat. (x mln euro)||Operating costs Personnel costs Gross wages and salaries (x mln euro)||Operating costs Personnel costs Employers' social contributions Total (x mln euro)||Operating costs Personnel costs Employers' social contributions Employer-paid social insurance premiums (x mln euro)||Operating costs Personnel costs Employers' social contributions Pension and early retirement premiums (x mln euro)||Operating costs Personnel costs Other social insurance costs (x mln euro)||Operating costs Other operating costs Equipment and inventory costs (x mln euro)|
|B Mining and quarrying||2020||7.8||10.4||803||108||787||92||649||171||88||83||5||360|
|06 Extraction of crude petroleum and gas||2020||2.7||3.6||23||13||21||11||295||82||27||56||2||254|
|08 Mining and quarrying (no oil and gas)||2020||2.3||2.6||688||86||674||72||139||33||19||14||0||72|
|10-12 Manufacture of food and beverages||2020||118.4||159.9||43,994||2,649||43,892||2,547||6,019||1,577||860||717||70||1,228|
|103 Processing of vegetables and fruit||2020||10.2||13.6||2,923||208||2,910||195||517||148||81||67||6||115|
|104 Manufacture of edible oils and fats||2020||2.6||3.0||3,094||225||3,167||298||163||50||24||26||3||51|
|106 Grain milling and starch products||2020||3.4||3.8||1,283||62||1,283||62||228||64||31||33||3||99|
|15 Manufacture of leather and footwear||2020||1.6||1.9||188||28||187||27||61||16||11||5||0||4|
|16+23 Man of wooden and buildingmaterial||2020||34.7||43.9||4,214||459||4,185||429||1,547||411||248||163||15||295|
|161 Sawmilling and planing of wood||2020||1.4||1.6||232||44||226||39||60||14||9||5||0||9|
|17-18 Manufacture of paper and printing||2020||32.2||37.2||4,141||874||4,169||902||1,479||386||244||142||13||278|
|18 Printing and reproduction||2020||14.4||17.3||862||645||851||634||564||133||96||36||7||99|
|181 Printing and services for printing||2020||14.0||16.5||846||644||835||633||554||130||94||36||7||98|
|19-22 Refineries and chemistry||2020||94.2||107.2||46,929||3,608||46,681||3,360||5,971||1,539||812||727||66||1,282|
|19 Manufacture of coke and petroleum||2020||5.4||6.3||15,050||891||14,869||710||468||47||42||5||6||176|
|20-21 Chemistry and pharmaceuticals||2020||57.5||64.5||27,689||2,206||27,622||2,139||4,040||1,122||540||583||43||903|
|203 Manufacture of paints and ink||2020||5.6||6.2||1,586||132||1,588||134||325||88||46||41||2||18|
|24-25 Man. of basic metals and -products||2020||102.1||128.3||12,628||1,677||12,515||1,565||4,846||1,280||756||524||31||899|
|241 Manufacture of iron and steel||2020||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|2561 Treatment and coating of metals||2020||8.4||10.8||565||64||563||62||350||94||58||36||2||51|
|26-27 Elektrical and electron. Industry||2020||47.2||53.6||10,406||1,301||10,472||1,367||3,097||763||401||362||18||163|
|273 Manufacture of wiring and -devices||2020||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|29 Manufacture of cars and trailers||2020||24.1||28.6||6,705||708||6,509||512||1,221||304||183||121||24||96|
|292 Manufacture of bodies and trailers||2020||6.6||7.6||945||144||944||144||261||73||44||28||2||19|
|301 Building of ships and boats||2020||11.8||16.8||3,091||137||3,075||121||587||154||91||62||13||24|
|33 Repair and installation of machinery||2020||41.0||48.9||3,810||366||3,694||249||1,999||586||333||253||19||92|
|331 Repair of machinery and equipment||2020||28.5||34.1||2,348||300||2,221||173||1,359||425||227||197||14||72|
|3312 Repair and maintenance of machinery||2020||16.0||18.7||1,702||244||1,579||121||748||212||117||95||8||33|
|35-36 Energy and water||2020||31.1||39.1||4,860||295||4,917||351||2,020||530||242||288||21||252|
|3514 Trade of electricity and gas||2020||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.||.|
|E Water supply and waste management||2020||28.7||36.4||2,229||.||.||.||1,433||373||205||167||8||372|
|36 Water collection and distribution||2020||5.3||6.2||72||3||71||2||321||81||35||46||3||67|
|38 Waste collection and treatment||2020||19.8||25.0||2,054||.||.||.||952||250||142||107||4||291|
|382 Waste treatment and disposal||2020||4.8||6.1||231||.||.||.||280||79||41||39||1||128|
|421 Construction of roads and railways||2020||25.9||38.0||3,283||.||.||.||1,487||367||218||149||16||138|
|431 Demolition and site preparation||2020||14.5||25.2||928||.||.||.||624||170||107||62||9||193|
|4334 Painting and glazing||2020||14.2||33.1||719||.||.||.||619||163||103||60||12||24|
|G Wholesale and retail trade||2020||987.2||1,307.1||.||.||.||.||39,706||9,591||6,335||3,256||284||1,987|
|45 Sale and repair of motor vehicles||2020||104.1||139.7||5,462||.||.||.||3,862||1,046||660||386||28||167|
|451 Sale and repair of motor vehicles||2020||70.9||94.1||4,241||.||.||.||2,629||726||448||278||21||103|
|4519 Sale and repair of trucks, trailers||2020||9.6||11.2||527||.||.||.||401||111||66||45||4||11|
|454 Sale and repair of motorcycles||2020||2.5||4.4||30||.||.||.||103||26||18||8||1||12|
|4622 Wholesale of flowers and plants||2020||16.0||22.3||.||.||.||.||684||151||111||40||5||29|
|463 Wholesale of food and beverages||2020||76.4||105.6||.||.||.||.||3,451||855||548||307||21||314|
|4647 Wholesale of furniture and carpets||2020||9.4||11.8||.||.||.||.||396||90||64||27||2||10|
|4651 Wholesale of computers and software||2020||25.7||29.1||.||.||.||.||1,581||339||216||124||11||41|
|4672 Wholesale of metals and metal ores||2020||8.6||9.6||.||.||.||.||436||106||66||40||2||24|
|4677 Wholesale of waste and scrap||2020||5.2||7.2||.||.||.||.||212||47||31||15||1||49|
|4711 Supermarkets and similar stores||2020||123.8||139.8||.||.||.||.||3,691||895||644||252||12||179|
|4743 Shops for brown and white goods||2020||6.2||7.3||.||.||.||.||203||49||33||16||1||4|
This table shows relevant economic data for trade and industry sectors, e.g. the number of persons employed, costs and revenues, turnover and other financial results. The figures can be divided by a number of sectors/ branches according to Statistics Netherlands' Standard Industrial Classification of all Economic Activities 2008 (SIC 2008).
Data available from: 2009.
Status of the figures:
All data in the table are definite.
Changes as of April 11, 2022:
Figures of 2020 have been added.
Many enterprises received wage subsidies in 2020 as a means to support enterprises during the COVID-19 pandemic. In production statistics, wage subsidies are deducted from the total wages paid to employees. Some enterprises may have to pay back (part of) the wage subsidies received. This means that enterprises have higher labour costs than reported in this table.
When will new figures be published?
Results are made available circa 15 months after the year under review. In March/April 2023, new figures will be published for 2021.
- Labour volume persons employed
- The volume of labour input in the production process, in terms of hours worked or full-time equivalents.
- A person who has a contract with an economic unit to carry out work in return for financial remuneration.
- Employed person
- Someone working for a company located in the Netherlands, or an
institution or private household in the Netherlands.
- Operating costs
- The costs made to achieve the operating profits, that is the purchase value of the turnover, labour costs, and depreciation on assets, and other business expenditure.
Since 2007, wage (cost) subsidies are no longer included in net
operating returns. Therefore, wage (cost) subsidies are deducted from operating costs.
- Purchase value of sales
- The costs of raw materials and semi-manufactured goods, packaging materials, trading goods, wages for work hired for the production of the goods and services used in the production within the reporting years.
- Costs of raw and auxiliary materials
- The costs are the total of the value of the initial stock plus the costs
of the purchased materials minus the value of the closing stock
Including import duties, costs of transport, import levies European Union,
transport insurance and temporary storage.
- Initial stock of raw and auxiliary mater
- Initial stock of raw and auxiliary materials and packing material.
The value on the balance sheet of raw and auxiliary materials (including purchased semi-finished products), packing material at the start of the period under review.
- Purchased raw and auxiliary materials
- The value of purchased raw and auxiliary materials (including purchased semi-finished products) and packing material for single use in the production process.
Includes import duties, costs of transport, import
levies European Union, transport insurance and temporary storage.
Excludes discounts, bonuses, goods returned, returned packing, VAT and received repayments of import duties, excises and levies.
- Closing stock raw and auxiliary mat.
- Closing stock of raw and auxiliary materials and packing material.
The value on the balance sheet of raw and auxiliary materials (including purchased semi-finished products), packing material at the end of the period under review.
- Personnel costs
- This category comprises expenses like
- gross wages and salaries of employees, including social
security and pension scheme contributions
- payments for temporary workers and hired personnel
- costs of schooling and training
- recruitment and selection costs
- canteen costs
- costs for health and safety provisions
- working clothes
- anniversary celebrations, etc.
- Gross wages and salaries
- The category gross wages and salaries refers to employees on the payroll
- wages including employees' contributions to social insurances minus sick pay;
- bonuses, holiday allowances, thirteenth month payments and dismissal payments
- allowances for commuter traffic
- contributions to savings schemes
- Employers' social contributions
- The premiums paid by employers to social security on the gross wages.
These include imputed and actual social premiums and actual pension premiums, and payments made directly by the employer.
- Employer-paid social insurance premiums
- The part of social insurance premiums paid by employers.
- Pension and early retirement premiums
- Contributions paid by employers to pension and early retirement schemes, savings for retirement provisions, etc.
- Other social insurance costs
- This category includes:
- contributions to health insurance;
- costs of staff relocation and housing;
- costs of child care, etc.
- Other operating costs
- The sum of the energy costs, transport costs, housing costs, costs of machinery, inventory, installations etc, other personnel costs, sales costs, communication costs, service costs and other costs not specified elsewhere.
- Equipment and inventory costs
- Rent and lease of machinery, equipment and computers (excluding software)
and (office) furniture and equipment.