|Periods||Milk supply Volume (1 000 kg)||Milk supply Fat content (%)||Milk supply Protein content (%)||Dairy production Butter (1 000 kg)||Dairy production Cheese (1 000 kg)||Dairy production Milk powder Total Milk powder (1 000 kg)||Dairy production Milk powder Whole milk powder (1 000 kg)||Dairy production Milk powder Skimmed-milk powder (1 000 kg)||Dairy production Concentrated milk (1 000 kg)||Dairy production Whey powder (1 000 kg)|
|Source: © RVO|
In the Netherlands about 96 percent of all raw cow's milk from dairy farmers is delivered to dairy factories. The remaining 4 percent is kept by the dairy farmers themselves for their own use (to feed young cattle and/or manufacture dairy products). This table contains data about the volume of cow's milk delivered by dairy farmers and the products manufactured by the dairy industry in the Netherlands. The table contains monthly figures as well as yearly figures. The figures on raw cow's milk concern volume, protein content and fat content. Dairy products include butter, cheese, milk powder, concentrated milk and whey in powder or block form.
The data in this table are provided by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) gathers data for two series on dairy products, namely monthly statistics and yearly statistics. As the monthly figures are based on about 98 percent of all cow's milk delivered to dairy factories, a provisional adjustment is done by the Agency. This adjustment only concerns collected milk and these monthly figures are revised when the yearly figures become available.
The table does not contain figures about fresh products such as drinking milk for consumption or acidified milk products such as yoghurts.
Figures about these products are only available for the years 1995-1997.
Data available from: January 1995
Status of the figures:
The monthly figures are provisional at first publication.
Definite month and year figures are published in August/December of the following year.
Changes as of 12 August 2022:
The provisional figures of June 2022 have been added. The provisional figures of March 2022, April 2022 and May 2022 have been updated.
When will new figures be published?
Approximately six weeks after the month under review.
- Milk supply
- Raw cow's milk collected from dairy farms and delivered to dairy
- 1000 kilograms = 971 litre.
- Fat content
- Fat content of raw cow's milk.
- Protein content
- Protein content (mainly casein) in raw cow's milk.
Casein, or curd, is an important milk protein that is used in the
process of making cheese from cow's milk.
- Dairy production
- The processing of raw cow's milk into dairy products such as butter,
processed cheese, milk powder, concentrated milk and whey by dairy
factories in the Netherlands.
NB. Provisional figures exclude, but definite figures include the products
of small dairy manufacturers.
- All types of butter.
- Cheese made of cow's milk only.
- Milk powder
- There are four kinds of milk powder: cream milk powder, whole milk powder,
partly skimmed-milk powder and skimmed milk powder.
Skimmed milk powder is obtained by removing cream from milk. It also
includes buttermilk powder.
- Total Milk powder
- Whole milk powder
- Milk powder with 1.5 percent or more fat.
- Skimmed-milk powder
- Milk powder with less than 1.5 percent fat.
- Concentrated milk
- Thickened milk or concentrated milk is a product obtained by partially
removing water. With or without a sugar supplement.
Milk for use in coffee is concentrated milk without a sugar supplement.
- Whey powder
- Whey (in powdered or block form) is a by-product of cheese making.
Whey powder is given in unprocessed form and does not include whey
powder that is low in sugar or salt. Figures about whey are only available