Data on chronic disorders referred to in this article are based on the Health Survey conducted by Statistics Netherlands. In this survey, respondents are invited to indicate whether they have suffered from one or more of 18 disorders and a rest category 'other disorders' in the past 12 months. Three disorders require special attention. Respondents are also asked to state whether they suffer from diabetes.
The following disorders are taken into account:
- Elbow, wrist or hand problems
- Problems related to the back of the neck or shoulder
- Asthma, chronic bronchitis, CNSLD
- Stroke, cerebral haemorrhage, cerebral infarction (12 years or older)
- Chronic eczema
- Chronic arthritis
- Intestinal disorders lasting longer than 3 months
- Dizziness with falling (12 years or older)
- Degenerative joint disease affecting hips or knees (12 years or older)
- Heart condition (12 years or older)
- Cardiovascular infarction (12 years or older)
- Hypertension (12 years or older)
- Migraine or severe headache
- Involuntary excretion of urine (incontinence) (12 years or older)
- Severe back pain
Constriction of the blood vessels in stomach or legs (12 years or older)
Because cancer, stroke or cardiovascular infarction are not very common but generally have a long-lasting effect, respondents are also asked whether they have ever suffered from one of these disorders.
As the data are based on a sample survey, the figures presented in this article are subject to a margin of error.