- be 18 years or older, born in the Netherlands to immigrant parents and always lived in the Netherlands.
- have been born in the Netherlands and lived in the Netherlands continuously for at least three years,
- be 18 years or older, a displaced person and resident in the Netherlands from four years of age.
- be 18 years or older, a former Dutch national resident in the Netherlands for at least one year with a residence permit for an indefinite period.
- be married to a Dutch national for at least three years and resident in the Netherlands continuously for at least fifteen years.
- be 65 years or older and resident in the Netherlands continuously for at least fifteen years.
Persons who opt for the Dutch nationality are not required to renounce their former nationality. The legislation in the country of their original nationality determines whether or not they retain that nationality.