Contiguous area, larger than half a hectare (50 by 100 metres), used for organised sporting events. It includes sports fields, sports centres, stadiums, swimming pools, riding schools, etc., including buildings on the premises and parking lots. Fitness centres are usually too small to be included in the category playing fields.
Sports grounds fall into one of the following size categories:
- Very small: 0 to 1.5 ha (no more than 2 football fields)
- Small: 1.5 to 5 ha (no more than 7 football fields)
- Middle-sized: 5 to 15 ha (no more than 22 football fields)
- Large: 15 to 45 ha (no more than 66 football fields)
- Very large: more than 45 ha