A person can acquire Dutch citizenship by filling in an application form stating that they wish to acquire Dutch citizenship by option. This is a simple and quick way to acquire Dutch nationality. The person must comply with one of the following conditions:
• adult, born in the Netherlands to immigrant parents and have lived here continuously since birth
• born in the Netherlands, be a resident for an uninterrupted period of at least three years and be stateless since birth
• be an adult and have lived in the Netherlands since he/she was four years old
• adult, former Dutch national who has lost his/her Dutch nationality and has lived in the Netherlands for an uninterrupted period of at least one year on the basis of a residence permit for an indefinite period of time or a non-temporary residence purpose
• married to a Dutch national for a period of at least three years and living in the Netherlands for an uninterrupted period of at least fifteen years
• 65 years of age or older and living in the Netherlands for an uninterrupted period of at least fifteen years.
It is not imperative for a person who acquires Dutch nationality through an option procedure to relinquish their original nationality. Legislation in the current country of residence decides whether the applicant will forfeit their former nationality.